Ontopic Political Poo Flinging

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd have to go back a little further than that.

This current fuckery stems from 1971 with Nixon, Kissinger, and the Saudis where we left the last vestiges of a gold standard, moved to the petrodollar, and became the world's reserve currency.

It's a lot bigger than any one administration or party and the reason every US administration has kissed Saudi ass ever since.

Uh, maybe a little, but Reaganomics was totally designed to have the effect that it has, as shown in the graphs Hoggz bothered posting. (I know they don’t show prior to 1980)

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
What’s this crap that Drumph pushed DHS to dump “illegals” in sanctuary cities?

That guy. There is so much wrong with him.

Uh, maybe a little, but Reaganomics was totally designed to have the effect that it has, as shown in the graphs Hoggz bothered posting. (I know they don’t show prior to 1980)

It got exacerbated and worsened during the 80s, but it didn't start there. Had been going that direction for a decade already.
Just like the crash of 08 didn't just happen one day. The situation that led to it was being set up in the 90's.

We are a big ship, we can't turn on a dime. When things reach a tipping point it can seem like everything goes to hell overnight, but the greater circumstances that lead to that happening are years in the making.

It's just easier for people to blame the other team not realizing all either of those teams are interested in is you buying a ticket to the game.

Political poo flinging.
A Tradition Like No Other®

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes and Immigrant
It got exacerbated and worsened during the 80s, but it didn't start there. Had been going that direction for a decade already.
Just like the crash of 08 didn't just happen one day. The situation that led to it was being set up in the 90's.

We are a big ship, we can't turn on a dime. When things reach a tipping point it can seem like everything goes to hell overnight, but the greater circumstances that lead to that happening are years in the making.

It's just easier for people to blame the other team not realizing all either of those teams are interested in is you buying a ticket to the game.

Political poo flinging.
A Tradition Like No Other®

Yeah, one of those things I’ll have to be a bitch and say we’ll have to agree to disagree. I remember Dems balancing the budget whenever in office only to have it reversed by R office holders.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Yeah, one of those things I’ll have to be a bitch and say we’ll have to agree to disagree. I remember Dems balancing the budget whenever in office only to have it reversed by R office holders.

That's cool. Here's a chart that kind of helps to explain what I'm getting at.

Workers kept getting more productive and their wages kept rising along with it until the early 70s. At that point we kept being more productive but started to see less and less of the rewards. That is the point where wealth started shifting towards the top.

It may've taken until the 80s for the gap to get big enough for a lot of people to realize things aren't as good as they used to be, but it had been moving that way for a decade already.

That's what I mean by these are long trends you can't lay at the feet of any one party or administration. They're all in on it and the bigwigs couldn't care less what your politics are when they control the money.

EPI_productivity_compensation.png

That's what I mean by these are long trends you can't lay at the feet of any one party or administration. They're all in on it and the bigwigs couldn't care less what your politics are when they control the money.
Gonna call bullshit.
Let's ignore the origin if it helps you. Let's look at shit that has happened in the past 20 years.

With the origin of these policies removed there is still one party fucking people over and implementing policies that hinders the American Low and Middle class while helping the Upper class.

Fuck that enlightened Centrist bullshit that says both are out to get us.

Gonna call bullshit.
Let's ignore the origin if it helps you. Let's look at shit that has happened in the past 20 years.

With the origin of these policies removed there is still one party fucking people over and implementing policies that hinders the American Low and Middle class while helping the Upper class.

Fuck that enlightened Centrist bullshit that says both are out to get us.

The gap has gotten progressively wider no matter who is in the Whitehouse or Congress.

Sure you could take any 2-year snippet in time, including the current one, and blame it on whoever is/was in charge at that time, but you'd be completely missing the larger picture.

You can't point to a period of time during any administration where the gap lessened, including this one.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
The gap has gotten progressively wider no matter who is in the Whitehouse or Congress.

Sure you could take any 2-year snippet in time, including the current one, and blame it on whoever is/was in charge at that time, but you'd be completely missing the larger picture.

You can't point to a period of time during any administration where the gap lessened, including this one.
Of course you can't. Until this presidential election or maybe the one before it income inequality was not a main topic of any presidential race. Until it is that high of an issue we won't do anything directly against it.
Look at the healthcare mess. Nixon was the first president to really push for any sort of healthcare reform. It took till Obama to get something concrete on the books and it's still being fucked with.

That doesn't eliminate the fact that one group of politicians repeatedly pushed for healthcare and the other either fucked off or actively sabotaged it.

Similarly, one group of politicians has attempted to treat the symptoms of income inequality and the other is hamstringing them.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
The 1970s was a period of recession. Reaganomics has been in effect for too long. Clintonian third-way is a marriage of conservative economic and popular social policies. The Democratic party of the last 30 years won't save us but the Republican party wants a second Gilded Age.

Last edited:
I was watching an older episode of Gotham (my cat calls it Got Ham) and a mob guy said “I have the cops. I have the gangs...”

Where have I heard that before? Oh right. Donnie Brasso.

The 1970s was a period of recession. Reaganomics has been in effect for too long. Clintonian third-way is a marriage of conservative economic and popular social policies. The Democratic party of the last 30 years won't save us but the Republican party wants a second Gilded Age.
If Americans would only not buy so many iPhones, we'd be in much less dire straits than we are now.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and nukes
My son has a freebie hat that vendors at his work handed out and it’s customary for the meat department to wear that stuff. It says something about grass fed beef or something.

He never gets to wear it because it’s red with white letters and from a distance (like over five feet away) it looks like a MAGA hat. None of his coworkers wear theirs either.

Status
Not open for further replies.