Ontopic Political Poo Flinging

Status
Not open for further replies.
& watch how *everything* is presented by the media, & look for yourself to see what's missing.

this is true (& shit like this happens on both sides of the aisle)

you haven't yet I don't think, but don't blame "leftists" for not hearing that - the best critiques I've heard of all the democratic contenders thus far, including information like the above, have come from fellow leftists.

edit fellow as in fellow to me, not fellow to the candidates, none of whom are actual leftists

At this point, he's just another candidate. The only reason anyone knows of him is because the media drove him to relevance when he ran for senator against Ted Cruz in TX for the 11/2018 senate election. It was a close race, and the balance of the senate was near 50/50 so the media created a fever pitch about the race.

The race was presented as an amazing, long running, cliff hanger, suspense filled drama that the best movies try to create.

He had 3 terms (2yrs each) as a congressman from tx. He wasn't a particularly special congressman.

The important thing to watch is *how* the media handles each of the candidates. Pay attn to the questions asked & the answers given.

Betos announcement that he's running looked like a spectacle with all the handwaving - standing on -was it a restaurant table? spouting dire consequences for the world. Cliffs: Vote for Beto or succumb to global catastrophe.

Also, pay attn to what the candidates are saying now, vs the past.

Beto just before the election in Nov 2018:
In an interview Sunday with CBS' "60 Minutes" program, O'Rourke, who is facing a likely defeat Tuesday, said the impact on his young family of five was one of the reasons he wasn't considering seeking higher office.​
"We've spent the better part of the last two years not with each other, missing birthdays, and anniversaries, and time together. Our family could not survive more of that. We need to be together," O'Rourke said. "I'm saying that if elected to the Senate, I'll serve every day of that six-year term. I'm not looking at 2020, and in fact, I'm completely ruling that out. I'm not going to do that. Win or lose, I'm not running in 2020."​

fwiw, apparently in 2011 he said he wasn't running for congress for the same reasons.
Was Beto's announcement more or less of a spectacle than a candidate slowly descending an escalator in their gilded tower and threatening dire consequences from people seeking safety, using "stronger" rhetoric than said candidate would later use to describe murderous, bonafide Neo-Nazis?

Did he pay the audience too?

Punk is dead.

Also relevant, Paul Ryan's favorite band is Rage Against the Machine.
i remember that :lol: the cognitive dissonance is palpable
One of my favorite parts of modern politics is Republicans being regularly shat on by musicians they like or whose music they use without permission.

Dude likes to party. Nothing wrong with that.

I thought it was more telling when they asked Pelosi if she could name some of his accomplishments when he was in the House and she was completely stuck on stupid and couldn't come up with one.
Why should she know?

Status
Not open for further replies.