Ontopic Political Poo Flinging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I've seen the "RIF" conspiracy theory too.

I don't give it a lot of credit as a strategy.

Me neither, but their listeners believe anything.

I still want the ability to possess a person’s body so I could order the entire air traffic controller union and TSA to strike.

I don’t think Drumph would pull a Ronnie Raygun and fire them.

Goddamn hatebox. I just heard a piece of a conservative wacky morning zoo type show. “Take our online poll! Has the government shutdown affected you?” “Currently about 2% say yes!”

That addresses a problem right there. We are a society. We are supposed to CARE about those being affected by adversity.

Also heard on hatebox was a snippet of a “caller” saying there was a rule that if furloughed workers are off without pay for X days in a X amount of time, they can be fired without cause. The host acted as though he was shushing the caller to keep it a secret, as though that’s the plan.

There are MAGAs who think the shutdown is good, because its lead to "smaller" government.

These people should never be allowed back on the job. :rolleyes: Total win for Donnie.

Me neither, but their listeners believe anything.

I still want the ability to possess a person’s body so I could order the entire air traffic controller union and TSA to strike.

I don’t think Drumph would pull a Ronnie Raygun and fire them.
It's crazy, because it doesn't even begin to address the real problem that 1) we're carving out almost 10% of our budget for interest payments on debt and 2) there's 60% of the budget that's totally untouchable in defined benefits like medicaid, medicare, and social security.

The morons who think that we can flush the whole thing by making air traffic controllers and our theater security agents work for free are as dumb as those guys who run into poles in their cars doing the "Bird Box Challenge".

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Every 15 years there is a review of federal salaries vs industry salaries for comparable work by OPM. This comparison quantifies and includes all benefits for both parties.

The most recent study was performed in 2018, with the default action being that federal salaries would adjust on Jan 1 2019 unless veto'ed by the office of the president. The study indicated that even including benefits, comparable position salaries in most region varied by 55% to 80% less, including quantified benefits.

My region was 62%.

The president veto'ed the OPM recommendation. There will not be another re-evaluation until 2032.

Its almost like he's trying to crash the government eh.

Does 15yrs seem like a long time between reviews to anyone else? Seems like it should be a 5yr thing (at the longest) especially given the ease of data calcs these days.

edit: @Domon can this be overturned by congress? Seems like it should be easy to do if warranted. It's not like either side has a tight grip on expenses.

Every 15 years there is a review of federal salaries vs industry salaries for comparable work by OPM. This comparison quantifies and includes all benefits for both parties.

The most recent study was performed in 2018, with the default action being that federal salaries would adjust on Jan 1 2019 unless veto'ed by the office of the president. The study indicated that even including benefits, comparable position salaries in most region varied by 55% to 80% less, including quantified benefits.

My region was 62%.

The president veto'ed the OPM recommendation. There will not be another re-evaluation until 2032.

Its almost like he's trying to crash the government eh.

It’ll drive people into private industry. Good news for the wealthy. Better talent pool.

Does 15yrs seem like a long time between reviews to anyone else? Seems like it should be a 5yr thing (at the longest) especially given the ease of data calcs these days.

edit: @Domon can this be overturned by congress? Seems like it should be easy to do if warranted. It's not like either side has a tight grip on expenses.
it cannot unfortunately. Its a presidential salary directive. He tasks OPM to provide recommendations and enact them, unless otherwise vetoed. Its not legislative.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel

Seems insanely long to me.
5 seems a reasonable max. 3 might make more sense for tech fields as fast as that moves. Certainly there are positions/specialties there that weren't even a thing 15 years ago and the same ones be outdated or obsolete by 2032.

giphy.gif

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Status
Not open for further replies.