Ontopic Political Poo Flinging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the right should start taking responsibility for their actions and just start up body counts like the clintons

Why with the “but what about?” That’s not a discussion, it’s a deflection.

The only righty I can think of off the top of my head who kind of took responsibility for their actions was Blake Farenthold or however it’s spelled.

That guy was a fucking moron anyway. How people like that get elected are beyond me, regardless of party affiliation.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
So she claimed to be native American when applying to a school. And we find out this week that she definitely has native ancestors. We just don't know exactly who.

What a whole bunch of nothing.
There is a a certain percentage that needs to be native American. My children are part
So you have to be a member of a tribe to get special privileges such as placement in schools?
For special government programs for natives, you have to be at least a certain percentage per the tribe. It is often like the equivalent of one fullblooded great grandparent.

I dont know about school entrance stuff, but many universities like diversity and may influence acceptance.

My children are part native Amerian, less per the tribe than the relatives' DNA showed.

There is a a certain percentage that needs to be native American. My children are part

For special government programs for natives, you have to be at least a certain percentage per the tribe. It is often like the equivalent of one fullblooded great grandparent.

I dont know about school entrance stuff, but many universities like diversity and may influence acceptance.

My children are part native Amerian, less per the tribe than the relatives' DNA showed.
^^ and for those unfamiliar, the way these things are determined is geneological relation to known tribe members (lineal descent) and then some tribes require a specific level of blood quantum and some don't. theoretically, if you could use the DNA to prove yourself to be a close enough relative to a tribe member, e.g. you were adopted and used DNA to prove a member of a tribe was your mother or father, it would work, but generalized ancestry tests are... well, just that. very general (and pretty new for consumer-level use).

it's also a frustrating topic right now because a lot of people are focusing on this / fractional DNA ancestry when places like North Dakota are actively working to keep Native Americans living on reservations from being able to vote.

Wtf is this?

Are they trying to pull the, "well, on paper, they're technically a different sovereign nation so the can't vote in 'our' nation" thing?

How easy is it to get a PO Box in a state that's different than the state you live in?

Because I would imagine it would be REALLY easy.

Registered to vote in two states.

And then, how easy would it be to have multiple PO Boxes in the same state?

Registered to vote multiple times in the same state.

There needs to be some kind of checks and balances system, and maybe the permanent address method is the wrong way to do it. But Having a voter registration that is absolute is fundamental to protecting the integrity of the votes. Otherwise Vladimir Olechenkov can be on a visitors visa, rent a PO Box and vote for Donald Trump in 2020.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I mean for christs sake, california incorrectly registered 21,000 voters when they processed something at the DMV, some of which weren't even citizens.

I don't want someone who isn't a citizen of our country to vote in our elections. I don't care if they're Mexican, Russian, Canadian, Ethiopian or Icelandic.

That's not a statement on immigration so don't read it that way, it's a statement on the integrity of our voting process.

Can't register to vote without a street address, lots of folks on the res don't have street addresses, only P.O. Boxes.

That's one of the biggest obstacles there is for people trying to rise out of homelessness. Not only for voting but just trying to function in society at all. Can't get an ID without an address/can't get an address without an ID.

There's a couple churches and charities here that try to help that, including letting get mail at their establishment, so they can claim an actual, physical address.

I imagine places like that aren't available just anywhere and most likely not in bumfuck, ND.

It's a damn shame Indians we keep on reservations have the same plight.

How easy is it to get a PO Box in a state that's different than the state you live in?

There needs to be some kind of checks and balances system, and maybe the permanent address method is the wrong way to do it. But Having a voter registration that is absolute is fundamental to protecting the integrity of the votes. Otherwise Vladimir Olechenkov can be on a visitors visa, rent a PO Box and vote for Donald Trump in 2020.

That much is correct, but you can't disenfranchise our own people in the process.

There has to be a better way.
No, Nat'l ID ain't it.

There needs to be some kind of checks and balances system
, and maybe the permanent address method is the wrong way to do it. But Having a voter registration that is absolute is fundamental to protecting the integrity of the votes. Otherwise Vladimir Olechenkov can be on a visitors visa, rent a PO Box and vote for Donald Trump in 2020.
kind of and there are.

"kind of" easy. You can get a PO box using your valid Drivers license here in IL. So it's easy in that respect, BUT at some point they mail you something to the address on your DL that you MUST bring back to the PO to validate your PO box or they close your PO box. [@fly remember getting my CAH back? that's what happened. I moved & didn't update my PO box address!] So there is a check and balance, but you can scam until they confirm the address on your DL is wrong.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
That much is correct, but you can't disenfranchise our own people in the process.

There has to be a better way.
No, Nat'l ID ain't it.
I agree.

I don't have an answer for the problem.

But it does beg the question in the interrim... is it more important to ensure that everyone votes leaving open the opportunity for those that are not eligible citizens to also vote, or protect the voters and sacrifice a few eligible voters in the process?

One means that everyone, including murderers just out of prison who have had their right to vote revoked, Russians and Native Americans can all vote.
The other means that lower income, disabled and ostracized communities like Native Americans can't vote.

That is the question... to which I don't have a real answer either.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and nukes

If the solution to a problem caused by half a dozen people disenfranchises 10-15% of the state the person that suggested it needs crayons and safety scissors for their next project.

Voter fraud is not a problem

If the solution to a problem caused by half a dozen people disenfranchises 10-15% of the state the person that suggested it needs crayons and safety scissors for their next project.

Voter fraud is not a problem

I hope you're just exaggerating for effect. Artistic liberties, if you will.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
  • Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and nukes
I hope you're just exaggerating for effect. Artistic liberties, if you will.
Cant be bothered to actually look up numbers right now, no. However Trump didn't find enough evidence of voter fraud to do anything and look at how little evidence he has needed for everything else.

Fact of the matter is that every recent voter fraud story I can remember in the recent past has centered around a Republican.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Status
Not open for further replies.