Hawt POGcast Radio

my little brony

Keep Being A Little Bitch
Oct 15, 2004
Marklar
₥21,495
I've been talking about this podcast for a while and keeks suggested I create my own thread for it. I'm not sure if it was genuine or as a subtle hint to "take your stupid white boy shit to your own thread" but either way I've decided to follow my First Lady's advice.

The show is called POGcast Radio. The term "POG" in the military means Personnel Other than Grunts which is basically all of us that were not front line infantry. It's both derogatory and a term of endearment at the same time. While we will have some grunts on the show from time to time the opportunity to make a pun out of it was too good to pass up.

As I've explained in the past the show is primarily about geek culture as it relates to the military. It's a group of veterans and active duty folks discussing and analyzing various examples of geeky media from our perspective. We tear apart properties like Star Wars, Star Trek, BSG, Warhammer, Battlefield, Marvel, and others with a focus on how our time in the service has shaped our perception of them.

Over time I plan on having multiple shows with different niche subjects and create an entire network for veterans that want to put on a show without building the infrastructure from scratch.

If any of this sounds remotely interesting please give it a listen and spread it around. I would love to get feedback from y'all on how it sounds, both in terms of content and audio quality. If you know anyone in the military that's even a little bit nerdy I think they would get a kick out of it.

Links!
http://pogcast.com/ - episodes. for playing it on the site or downloading, I recommend the latter
http://pogcast.libsyn.com/rss - RSS feed to get updates
https://twitter.com/pogcastradio
https://www.facebook.com/POGcast
https://www.reddit.com/pogcastradio

lemme know what you think :happy:

• Gravy
Reactions: Petunia
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I think we're funny sometimes but some of the humor does come from inside jokes and references that mostly vets will understand. It's an irreverent show but from time to time we'll do episodes on more grounded subjects like future tech in warfare.

thanks for giving it a shot! I hope it's entertaining

• Gravy
Reactions: Petunia
I don't understand like, any of the technical aspects of podcasts...

but i subscribe, download, manage, and listen to all of my podcast through doggcatcher on my android. i'm sure most people use similar apps (and of course itunes), so... might want to consider making it available there if you're really going to keep doing this for awhile. i couldnt find it when i searched. :(

It's all done via RSS feeds, even iTunes. Most apps like dogcatcher, podcast addict, and overcast will use iTunes data for their own indexing so figuring out why I'm not yet showing up on itunes is certainly a priority.

also, david isn't really a brony. or in the coast guard :fly: for some reason he wanted that read as his intro and I figured why the fuck not. he's actually a prior service Marine and going to Columbia in NY. he did the interview in the second episode

first episode had a lot of people on it, some of them are regulars on other episodes, some of them don't show up often. most episodes will have two or three guests plus me as the host

ah, gotcha.

you can have 5 regulars, as long as they're pretty much always there and only 1 is the host. will just take time to get to know everyone. then you can throw on a random guest or two every episode and it won't be overbearing or anything.

i was surprised at how relaxed everyone seemed to be, and the sound was very clear for the most part, outside of someone hitting their mic often. i think you'll do alright.

thanks, dude :)

some of the guys will be regulars and I'll be hosting every episode unless I need someone to fill in for me so we can release on time. part of the problem has been scheduling, one is deployed right now, another is in flight school, and until the end of my contract I really only have time to record on weekends.

the guests will ebb and flow depending on the subject matter. some might not have anything to say about stargate while others might be able to talk for hours about it so I don't to force an episode one someone that has no interest in the subject matter. but I'll try to keep it fairly consistent across the board, but especially with release schedules. I want to continue releasing on the 1st and 15th of each month for the first season then see if that's still a viable schedule for season 2

this season should run 8 episodes, take a break for the winter, then do another 8 in the spring but with a lot more planning and organization

so if you're talking about stargate for example, might be an advantage to have someone who knows nothing about it there so they can ask questions that the rest of you might just assume everyone else knows. will appeal to a larger audience if you have to stop and explain wtf you're talking about sometimes, and having that guy who knows nothing will be a golden indicator for when you need to slow it down or explain a few things. he won't be the main guest or anything, just that barometer sitting off to the side listening for the most part.

so if you're talking about stargate for example, might be an advantage to have someone who knows nothing about it there so they can ask questions that the rest of you might just assume everyone else knows. will appeal to a larger audience if you have to stop and explain wtf you're talking about sometimes, and having that guy who knows nothing will be a golden indicator for when you need to slow it down or explain a few things. he won't be the main guest or anything, just that barometer sitting off to the side listening for the most part.
"Mikey The Retarded Intern"

I actually have a plan for that. ^_^ Let's take Stargate, for example. We'll dig into it for about an hour and discuss from as many angles as we can. Most everyone will at least be familiar with it but not everyone will have all the minutiae to share. Having someone there that's never seen it will just confuse them, they won't really have anything to add or question because a lot of it requires context that takes hours to explain for a 10 season long series with two spinoffs.

That's where the intro episodes come in. One person familiar with the content will introduce one or two other people to it. Each episode gets a discussion where the host can answer questions and discuss things without getting into spoilers for the next episode. I wasn't aware this was a thing until I talked to someone who runs an entire network of shows like this and gets monthly downloads into the five digits. if I even get ten percent of that I'll be happy.

this is really just a scam to get paid for consuming media

I don't ever expect to make a living off it but if it can at least pay for itself that would be the shizzle :bast:

I should also point out that this won't be a very topical or linear show at all. We'll certainly do some current stuff like Force Awakens and The Martian but generally these will be about properties that have been out for a while. Someone that hasn't seen or read Hitchhiker's may want to skip that episode until they've had time with it themselves then listen to us have a conversation about it.

mathy enough for me.

I support your inane bullshit.

If you monetize it per listen, ill put it on mute and leave it playing when im not around so you get some sort of internet points.