please somebody shoot me i'm dying

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
i have swimmer's ear, and it is KILLING ME. it's like a dagger is stabbing my brain via my ear. i went yesterday and got a prescription for pain...and even that's not working.
i need to be put out of my misery unless someone here has a recommendation for some home remedies. can anyone give me some relief suggestions?

whoa wait, you got some perscription for the pain, but did they give you the swimmer's ear solution that you drip in your ear, etc?

edit:

you need this:

300.jpg

Last edited:
elpmis said:
whoa wait, you got some perscription for the pain, but did they give you the swimmer's ear solution that you drip in your ear, etc?

yes. they gave me antibiotic drops for the ear. the doc said it'd take a couple of days at least to notice any kind of relief. :( i don't remember being in this much pain with even an ear infection.
i just have a high tolerance to any kind of meds, and i'm trying to keep sane while watching two kids and a baby (watching two for a friend.)

this has GOT to be hell. :(

if you're using those drops correctly you won't feel any pain by the end of the day - no water in the ear = no discomfort

Thorn Bird said:
yes. they gave me antibiotic drops for the ear. the doc said it'd take a couple of days at least to notice any kind of relief. :( i don't remember being in this much pain with even an ear infection.
i just have a high tolerance to any kind of meds, and i'm trying to keep sane while watching two kids and a baby (watching two for a friend.)

Yikes! My own kid I might be able to watch in that much pain but I wouldn't be able to watch someone else's kids.

elpmis said:
if you're using those drops correctly you won't feel any pain by the end of the day - no water in the ear = no discomfort

the pain can last for a couple days even with antibiotics.

Thorn Bird said:

sounds like you've had water in there for awhile, usually you can catch Otitis externa (swimmer's ear) when it's only inflamming the outer ear, sometimes that moisture will get down into the ear cannel and that moisture in the ear predisposes the ear to infection from fungus or water loving bacteria such as pseudomonas - I grew up with chronic ear infections my whole life, a warm compress on the ear helps, but nothing will relieve it, you gotta ride this pony out

if it makes you feel any better, I get ear infections about 3 times a year and many times resulting in the rupture of my ear drum

these antibiotic drops are different than the swimmer's ear drops. the latter are to use after you go swimming, to PREVENT swimmer's ear.

Thorn Bird said:
these antibiotic drops are different than the swimmer's ear drops. the latter are to use after you go swimming, to PREVENT swimmer's ear.
ya for some reason I thought you only had water in your ear that was starting to bug you, not the full blown infection :D

elpmis said:
sounds like you've had water in there for awhile, usually you can catch Otitis externa (swimmer's ear) when it's only inflamming the outer ear, sometimes that moisture will get down into the ear cannel and that moisture in the ear predisposes the ear to infection from fungus or water loving bacteria such as pseudomonas - I grew up with chronic ear infections my whole life, a warm compress on the ear helps, but nothing will relieve it, you gotta ride this pony out

if it makes you feel any better, I get ear infections about 3 times a year and many times resulting in the rupture of my ear drum

i went swimming memorial day weekend. i just went to urgent care yesterday because i felt that something wasn't right. i've also been having headaches at night, which start from pressure behind my right eye and right side of my nose. (same side as the infected ear.)
i just need to get the pain under control. the buzz and ache i can deal with. it's just the stabbing pain. it was so bad, it woke me up at 5 this morning...and since i sleep like the dead, that's a pretty major thing.