PLEASE. be patient, kind,

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
remember to respect your idiot friend, and speak slowly. i need help and i am dumb. please do not intimidate me or throw stones (or big words) at me. i will cry. now...

*deep breath*

i need help figuring out a service plan. STOP. don't start talking yet!! i am not tech-savvy. i am technically challenged. i know NOTHING of modern developments (big word, yes, but my mother helped me use it.)

i am looking to update my cell phone and plan. i am looking between att and verizon. i have been with att for over 11 years. they love me. they will help me. but if they are not the best anymore, i might need to change.

i am looking into breaking down and getting text crap. but i know nothing. what do i need to know?

and then that brings up phones. i am broke and simple. but if i am going to text and internet and take pictures, what do i get? i don't think my little free flip phone is going to cut it. i do not have $300 to spend on some iphone, and i honestly don't even know what you really do with a blackberry.

i will probably need unlimited local and long distance. i would like caller id and call waiting. i don't know what i'd need for internet or texts. i'm assuming there are different plans for different needs.

so what am i not thinking of that i need to know, and what service is the best, and HOW DO I GET THE BEST DEAL FOR WHAT I WANT?

thank you and screw you for laughing at me.

Do you talk a lot? Based on the amount of words used to explain the problem I'm guessing yes.

Nah, I'm kidding. Kimie and I are both on SERO, but I'm not sure you can still get that plan. I will poke around and find out.

Thorny, you can get a pretty nifty phone for free (or a major discount) depending on what contract you sign. :)

you mentioned you're broke, well unless you really need internet access on your phone I wouldn't recommend any data plans. Those are the game changers as far as monthly costs go. And (since you say you know nothing) I'll mention that data plans are totally separate from text plans. Text plans are usually worked into your basic usage plan (like $49.99 a month or whatever will include X amount of texts per month) and $5-$10 bucks more a month usually gets you a butt load more of texts per month.

ATT vs. Verizon comes down to your interest in better access range vs. interest in types of phones. ATT generally has a better selection of phones (although Verizon is now showcasing Droid), but since expensive phones isn't your bag I would focus on call quality and that award usually goes to Verizon (unless you live in a cave where both carriers will suck).

I would recommend something like a LG enV Touch with a basic plan from Verizon (remember no data plans). It's a nifty, simple phone that's easy to use, text, take pictures, etc. etc. You're probably out $100 for the phone and then $50 bucks a month for the basic plan. You can even feel somewhat cool because it has a touch screen.

I dunno, plans for unlimited talking usually start around $100 a month from everything I've seen. The cheaper plans have limited amounts of minutes. Do you know how many minutes you really need or is unlimited a must have? Your AT&T rep should be able to tell you how many minutes you average per month.

thank you elpie!!! i didn't know that some internet thing was a totally different thing. i don't need it...there've just been many times where i wanted it...like to find out where the hell i was. :fly:
i'd love to spend only $50 or less a month. i'm about at $30 right now, but that's with a split plan and 400 minutes shared.

:heart: