Places to stay in ATL

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
Marklar
₥10
So I'm going for some Java training in ATL from May 7 - May 11. The training facility has suggested a few hotels but I'm not sure what's best since i'm not all that familiar with downtown Atlanta. My budget maxes out at $175/night.

The training facility I will be getting my learn on is Accenture Learning located at
Equitable Building
100 Peachtree Street
Suite 1800
ATLANTA, GA 30303
678-657-2143

So help me out, which of these suggested hotels would be the best place to stay? Do you know of somewhere better? Anybody that might want to meet up for a beer and dinner sometime that week? Does anybody know the mean air speed of an African Swallow carrying a coconut?

Hampton Inn & Suites Downtown Atlanta
161 Spring Street Atlanta, GA 30303
Directions: 3.5 short blocks from the center

Atlanta Downtown Residence Inn
134 Peachtree Street Atlanta, GA 30303 (404) 522-0950
Directions: Less than 1 block from the training center

Westin Peachtree Plaza

210 Peachtree Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30303 (404) 659-1400
Directions: 2.5 short blocks from the center

Marriott Atlanta Downtown
160 Spring Street, NW Atlanta, GA 30303 (866) 316-5959
Directions: 3.5 short blocks from the center

the westin or the marriott are probably your best bets..I'll meet up with you for some drinking

Let me ask one more question:

What the hell is going on May 7-11? i'm looking in to it and there is no availability for most hotels that week. The westin still has rooms but that's because they are $240+ per night. I may need to get the boss to approve some extra funding for lodging :D

I know when I finally make it to Atlanta, I will be staying at Hotel Thorn and Spange. But then my budget will also be a little smaller then yours is. :fly:

the westin or the marriott are probably your best bets..I'll meet up with you for some drinking

Sounds great! But I just asked, boss won't let me spend $240 a night :eek:

i hope we'll get to meet up too!

I hope so too! I'll keep you guys posted as to my whereabouts.

-------------------------------------------------

I'm going to start looking away from downtown now, maybe buckhead or someplace near a Marta station. Any Ideas there?

I know when I finally make it to Atlanta, I will be staying at Hotel Thorn and Spange. But then my budget will also be a little smaller then yours is. :fly:

Gotta love it when the State of GA is footing the bill.

when shoudl i book you????? :hi2u:

and i thought of suggesting this to erage, but the drive to and fro wouldn't be worth it since it's far away.

when shoudl i book you????? :hi2u:

and i thought of suggesting this to erage, but the drive to and fro wouldn't be worth it since it's far away.

Plus I may or may not have a car, and a walk is totally out of the question. Whether or not I drive depends on if a rental car or a plane ticket + train/cab rides is cheaper.

When they send me on business I do not take my car because their rate per mile is crap. If you make them rent you a car then they pay for gas off of reciepts and the rental in full so I can't lose money.

ERage, is your job more of a Sys Admin, Web Programmer, Or Database Admin job? Just wondering. No real reason.

First off, I do not work for the office of IT Prevention. I work for institutional research. My title is Data Architect but my job encompasses database design, and administration, programming everything from small scripts and mini apps to a full scale strategic planning and budgeting system...which SCAD might be on soon or maybe not(we've been meeting with Joseph Hoey, your new VP of Effectiveness).

So really, I'm a programmer and database designer most of the time, i'm a DB admin part of the time, and I run the networks/servers/pc issues in our little corner office which has managed to segregate itself from the rest of the university's IT infrastructure. To those that may not know, that last statement was funny because we are a Historically Black University.

Why am I going for training in Java? I am beginning a redesign of our planning and budget software and I will be designing and deploying it with J2EE via the web to move away from the fat client that I designed 3 years ago.

are you sorry you asked yet? :D

They don't pay the federal mileage rate?

the federal mileage rate is shit, it doesn't cover gas let alone wear and tear on your vechicle. Plus I drive an older car and I just don't trust it. It's easier to rent and get fully reimbursed.

Joseph Hoey, your new VP of Effectiveness. lol. He has no real ties to anything IT. Just VP number 532 of what the hell do they do?

Our Institutional research moved out of the IT divison earlier this year. I believe they still work with some of the Banner/Oracle/Database people though.

the federal mileage rate is shit, it doesn't cover gas let alone wear and tear on your vechicle. Plus I drive an older car and I just don't trust it. It's easier to rent and get fully reimbursed.

For out of town trips I totally agree. The federal rate isn't that bad and just went up again. I average around $150 a month in mileage.

Joseph Hoey, your new VP of Effectiveness. lol. He has no real ties to anything IT. Just VP number 532 of what the hell do they do?

Our Institutional research moved out of the IT divison earlier this year. I believe they still work with some of the Banner/Oracle/Database people though.

Joseph is a good guy, he's the one that has seen all of your recent accreditations through so far...he was at GA Tech prior. His name is synonymous with regional accrediting bodies.

Our IR office reports directly to the president's office.

It's starting to look like I'm staying at the double tree or embassy suites in Buckhead. Is that okay with you WAW? I'll expect to be picked up in the newly renovated corvette. WAW's Corvette is going to pwn inline picking me up in his gay blue miata ;)

It's starting to look like I'm staying at the double tree or embassy suites in Buckhead. Is that okay with you WAW? I'll expect to be picked up in the newly renovated corvette. WAW's Corvette is going to pwn inline picking me up in his gay blue miata ;)

sure, cool w/me