Pirates Beware: Soon Rifles That Kill from a Mile Away

Well duh. One for range, one for wind :p

A normal sniper moves his ass after one shot. Sticking around from where you fired the first one is a good way to be killed. The fact he was 1.5 miles away is the only thing that let him stay in place.

Just offer the NRA to have a convention on a cruise ship and tell them guns are allowed. Once aboard do loops in Somalian waters and the problem will resolve itself.

A normal sniper moves his ass after one shot. Sticking around from where you fired the first one is a good way to be killed. The fact he was 1.5 miles away is the only thing that let him stay in place.
Dude... Not everything is stalk/kill. I never read anything about the canadian thing specifically but they mightve just been on overwatch, cover, anything.

Also people can do some pretty amazing things with a gun, but it's still real world physics. 750 grain .50BMG is 1069 inch (89 foot) drop @1760 yds. (or one mile) (at least according to hornandy). It's actually harder to figure if you are shooting downhill. If you havent shot yet you cant account for drift etc.

Dude... Not everything is stalk/kill. I never read anything about the canadian thing specifically but they mightve just been on overwatch, cover, anything.

Also people can do some pretty amazing things with a gun, but it's still real world physics. 750 grain .50BMG is 1069 inch (89 foot) drop @1760 yds. (or one mile) (at least according to hornandy). It's actually harder to figure if you are shooting downhill. If you havent shot yet you cant account for drift etc.

Wow. No. Your wrong. Period.

A sniper is not equipped to take on an armed force. He is either solo, or working in tandem with a spotter. They are trained to take the kill shot with 1 kill. Ever head of the phrase '1 shot, 1 kill'. It is a snipers mantra. A miss give the target a chance to move and evade. And alerts the squads on the ground to the snipers location. The snipers weapon is not equipped for close range engagement, nor for taking on multiple targets in a short span of time. A sniper who is found and engaged is a dead sniper, and thus, is a loss of valuable time and training. That training is very much geared towards taking all conditions into consideration for the 1 shot, 1 kill. These guys train silent stalk tactics on a regular basis, and taking shots from all ranges, in all conditions, to 100% be able to accurately predict what their shot will do. There is very little 'I hope it does this' for these guys.

Their standard mode of operation is to shoot and move when they are dispatched out to run independant. Unless they are 100% secure that their position has not be compromised, or that retaliation by the targeted force against their position is not possible as they are providing covering action for an allied squad.

Last edited:

A sniper is not equipped to take on an armed force. He is either solo, or working in tandem with a spotter. They are trained to take the kill shot with 1 kill. Ever head of the phrase '1 shot, 1 kill'. It is a snipers mantra. A miss give the target a chance to move and evade. And alerts the squads on the ground to the snipers location. The snipers weapon is not equipped for close range engagement, nor for taking on multiple targets in a short span of time. A sniper who is found and engaged is a dead sniper, and thus, is a loss of valuable time and training. That training is very much geared towards taking all conditions into consideration for the 1 shot, 1 kill. These guys train silent stalk tactics on a regular basis, and taking shots from all ranges, in all conditions, to 100% be able to accurately predict what their shot will do. There is very little 'I hope it does this' for these guys.

Their standard mode of operation is to shoot and move when they are dispatched out to run independant. Unless they are 100% secure that their position has not be compromised, or that retaliation by the targeted force against their position is not possible as they are providing covering action for an allied squad.

Damn, cracked an egg of knowledge on us. Where did you learn all that ?

One friend back in CO who was a marine who did the sniper school at quantico. Another was in the Army who did the sniper school at Ft. Benning. I was there for a drunken argument between them. Asked other questions later. Considered doing it myself until I learned that being a good shot is the least part of being a sniper, and what they go through. Decided to stay in my cushy private sector job instead.

One friend back in CO who was a marine who did the sniper school at quantico. Another was in the Army who did the sniper school at Ft. Benning. I was there for a drunken argument between them. Asked other questions later. Considered doing it myself until I learned that being a good shot is the least part of being a sniper, and what they go through. Decided to stay in my cushy private sector job instead.

Pretty cool stuff to know.

Lame, but I love the sniper rifle on COD 3,4 and 5. I think I'm pretty damn good w/ it.

And yes I know that means nothing on the battle field.

lol battle field.

That's great really. You couldve avoided all that typing if you understood what I was saying though. I was debating whether or not the person in question was acting as a 'sniper' in that instance.

I know what the sniper deal is. Some light infantry units in the army (and Im pretty sure the marines) have 'designated marksmen', usually have the gun skills (i.e. sniper school) and a proper long range rifle, work with a spotter, but they set them up for overwatch or cover.

They get a lot more rounds downrange at weird distances because they are out on every patrol vs actual sniper units who get sent out less often because all they do is the stalk kill etc.

Edit: You can attend the schools and not be put in the actual units. Ranger, airborne, sniper etc.

Last edited:

Snipers are never solo.

I know what the sniper deal is. Some light infantry units in the army (and Im pretty sure the marines) have 'designated marksmen', usually have the gun skills (i.e. sniper school) and a proper long range rifle, work with a spotter, but they set them up for overwatch or cover.
Precisely. Especially since the Barret is most certainly not a common rifle for blackside missions. It's too heavy and too loud and believe it or not, too inaccurate. It's a semi-automatic anti-material weapon, it will never reach the precision of a bolt-action rifle.
Edit: You can attend the schools and not be put in the actual units. Ranger, airborne, sniper etc.
Maybe the Army's but the Marine Corps trains the best snipers and you ain't gettin' in unless you're going to be an 0317. We don't have the money to waste on training people for fun. :p

Precisely. Especially since the Barret is most certainly not a common rifle for blackside missions. It's too heavy and too loud and believe it or not, too inaccurate. It's a semi-automatic anti-material weapon, it will never reach the precision of a bolt-action rifle.
I had pics from mah cousin where they were using one to cover a checkpoint >.> Pretty sure I've read a couple books where it's mentioned too. I cant even really think of where Vietnam style sniper tactics would be effective anymore.

Maybe the Army's but the Marine Corps trains the best snipers and you ain't gettin' in unless you're going to be an 0317. We don't have the money to waste on training people for fun. :p
My brother lol, has been to Airborne school, Air Assault school (which is only 15 days o_O), and waiting for a spot in ranger school. Currently attached to 101st Airborne (Air Mobile). Half the Army is overqualified >.>

You'd be amazed at how much training you can get in 15 days, especially if it's constant. Plus, most of those advanced schools are designed to instruct you on the material which then gets taken back to your unit and practiced over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

I believe "one shot one kill" is the Navy SEAL mantra.

The amazing think about the sniper shots on the pirates is the SEALs shot as accurately as they did against a moving target. I am not certain, but if they made the shot from a boat, then they had an unstable platform to shoot from as well