PIF Thanksgiving Leftovers To April23

April23 said:
Okay.
april2.GIF

fixt

I just finished a cheesecake.

And a lemonade pie.

And a pumpkin pie.

I think Irish Dessert is next...Here I come, taters!

April23 said:
Seriously going to send me some?

Honestly, I would if I had any left.

The turkey is basically gone and all that's left is a little bit of stuffing, a quarter of a pie, and some biscuits.
Not much left for me to graze off of either. :(

List of stuff I had on saturday but was gone by today:
Turkey
Crown Roast
Stuffing for crown roast
Chicken

Well...there is some turkey left...but not a lot.

FYI:
1 (6 to 10-pound) crown roast of pork (5 pound roast is about 10 to 12 chops, serving 6)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons minced garlic
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons chopped sage
2 tablespoons chopped thyme
1 1/4 cups dry white wine

Serving Suggestions:
Merliton Stuffing, recipe follows
Homemade Applesauce, recipe follows

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Rub all over with the olive oil and the garlic and season generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with fresh herbs and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, basting frequently with wine, until a meat thermometer reads 150 degrees to 160 degrees F. (20 to 22 minutes per pound).

Remove from oven and let rest at least 10 minutes before carving. Serve with Merliton Stuffing and Homemade Applesauce.

Merliton Stuffing:
6 merlitons, about 3 3/4 pounds
1 pound pork sausage, removed from the casings
3 cups finely chopped yellow onions
1 cup finely chopped bell pepper
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons Essence, recipe follows
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
1 cup dry bread crumbs, plus 1/4 cup
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

Place the meriltons in a large pot and cover with water by 1-inch. Bring to a boil and cook until a knife can be inserted easily, about 20 minutes. Drain in a colander and cool. When cool enough to handle, halve the merlitons, peel, remove the seeds, and cut the flesh into 1/2-inch cubes.

While merlitons are cooking, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, onions, bell peppers, garlic, Essence, and salt. Cook until the meat is brown, and the vegetables are very soft, give off their liquid, and begin to caramelize, about 25 minutes. Add the cubed merlitons and cook, stirring frequently, until they give off their liquid and soften, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and cool slightly before adding the butter, green onions, parsley, sage, thyme, 1 cup bread crumbs, and eggs. Stir well to combine.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Lightly grease an 8-cup casserole. Transfer the stuffing to the casserole and sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/4 cup bread crumbs. Drizzle with the olive oil, then bake until golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve. (Optional: Spoon baked stuffing into center of Crown Roast before serving.)

Yield: 8 to 10 servings

Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.

Yield: about 2/3 cup

Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.

Homemade Applesauce:
10 to 12 Braeburn, Cortland, or McIntosh apples (about 5 1/2 pounds), cored and cut into eighths
1 cup water
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
Pinch salt
2 tablespoons sugar, or more, to taste

In a large saucepan or stockpot, combine all the ingredients, except the sugar. Cook over high heat until the apples begin to release their liquid, about 5 minutes. Cover and reduce the heat to medium, and cook until the apples soften and begin to break apart, about 1 hour, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to low and partially cover. Cook until the apples fall apart and the mixture reaches sauce consistency, about 30 minutes.

Remove from the heat. Add the sugar (if needed) and stir well. Put the mixture through a food mill or a fine mesh strainer, pushing with the back of a spoon to extract as much sauce as possible. Discard the cinnamon sticks and apple skins.

Yield: 6 cups

My god...this thing is good.