Ontopic PICA has got to be a top 5 "most crazy" mental condition out there

Mortlach

Erect Member
Nov 8, 2012
South Jersey
Marklar
₥0
I have/had many with this condition. Just saw two: one eats whatever is on the floor, his favorite is lint and all things that can be picked off clothing... the next guy will literally push you over if he sees a cigarette butt as he wants to eat it that bad.

Sad to see and hard to treat. It's like all the negative reinforcement training I got means nothing in the face of this illness.

Haven's seen anyone do that hear... wondering how that would be taken here; I could see some thinking it is demeaning

I think the ladybutt has a client or two (or someone in her office does) that uses it.
I seem to remember some fiasco where the clicker was misplaced for a handful of days

Haven's seen anyone do that hear... wondering how that would be taken here; I could see some thinking it is demeaning

Maybe, I only heard about it from an animal behaviourist from the states though (Karen Pryor). It's supposed to teach them to concentrate and also give more eye contact, same principle as with pets but then it's all just the science of learning, not sure I would find it demeaning if it meant my kid would look at me more and be better behaved :iono:

There's a museum North of Kansas city called the Glore Pyschiatric Museum. it's an old insane asylum they've turned into a museum with all the old treatments they used to do, like human hamster wheel, a dunk tank, electroshock therapy, this coffin thing they'd put multiple people in for days, etc.

They also have projects from the patients there, like a wall full of cigarette packages they collected and two classic cars they rebuilt. Anyways one of the things they have is a collage of stuff they pulled out of a PICAs stomach, over 1400 things, mainly safety pins.