FYI Pewp in this thread when you're pewpin

I suppose you are the type that people would either

a) think twice before robbing
b) try to show how tough they are by selecting you to rob.

There's a shit ton of private sales who want cash specifically. NOT a check.

This is exactly how it works in private horse trailer sales. $1K? $50K? all CASH.
Not to get too deep in this shit (see, on topic!)

The account I was pulling from is a joint investment account with me and my wife as the two signers, and Morgan Stanley doesn't cash the checks they issue. I was fuckin' lucky that my CU would cash it at all without forcing us to wait 18 business days for it to clear, and I didn't have to go to the seller's bank, have both of us sign the check over to him and make him wait instead.

Not prepper at all. They just don't want any of it tracked the same way drug dealers don't. Or garage salers don't.

Fraud prevention is a simple UCC or title search and can be done easily w/o any paperwork from the seller.
that certainly sounds like weird prepper, the gubmint is out to get me, stuff to me.

• Gravy
Reactions: Mr. Argumentor
Not prepper at all. They just don't want any of it tracked the same way drug dealers don't. Or garage salers don't.

Fraud prevention is a simple UCC or title search and can be done easily w/o any paperwork from the seller.
This is purely for expedience. My schedule doesn't work well to meet the seller outside of today, so I stopped into the CU this morning on the off chance they'd be willing to help me out. Turns out, they would.

I have to report it anyway, since I'm a clearance holder.

Also, I work on a military base, so there's very little in the way of crime that happens around me during the day.

"Expedience"

yep!

In the horse world there's too many checks that don't clear, broken promises, too much effort in 'wait, we're agreeing on a price while you're right here and now you want to go to a bank? Go get the $$ you say you have & come back. It's for sale until it's not for sale.' It gets all simple with "I'll do a bill of sale here for the cash we agree on right here & we're done. You've got your copy, I've got mine. Cash has changed hands. No need to make it more difficult."

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
This is purely for expedience. My schedule doesn't work well to meet the seller outside of today, so I stopped into the CU this morning on the off chance they'd be willing to help me out. Turns out, they would.

I have to report it anyway, since I'm a clearance holder.

Also, I work on a military base, so there's very little in the way of crime that happens around me during the day.
maybe my experience is different than most....

I need large amounts of cash (lets call it 5k+) I walk into any branch of my bank, go to the counter (or at the nice bank, they help me out at a desk) and ask for a cashiers check for that amt from this account, and they make it. Maybe a 10 minutes transaction rather than a 5 minute one for cash.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel

I need large amounts of cash (lets call it 5k+) I walk into any branch of my bank, go to the counter (or at the nice bank, they help me out at a desk) and ask for a cashiers check for that amt from this account, and they make it. Maybe a 10 minutes transaction rather than a 5 minute one for cash.
The bank I pulled the money from is an investment bank, chief.

I think the only real difference is the livestock community way of doing business. Tons of 'slow pays' in the industry and when things turn to larger deals, $1k+, cash = less work for the transaction and the buyer & seller can get on with their own lives without 'idk why my bank is taking so long/why there's no money in the acct/why that cashiers check won't go through.' & there's also the 'we don't need no stinkin' 3rd party blessing'

fwiw, I've caught people giving me bad checks on more than one occasion. (not bad= bouncing, I get those, & know those happen. I mean bad=fake. :lol:)

I think the only real difference is the livestock community way of doing business. Tons of 'slow pays' in the industry and when things turn to larger deals, $1k+, cash = less work for the transaction and the buyer & seller can get on with their own lives without 'idk why my bank is taking so long/why there's no money in the acct/why that cashiers check won't go through.' & there's also the 'we don't need no stinkin' 3rd party blessing'

fwiw, I've caught people giving me bad checks on more than one occasion. (not bad= bouncing, I get those, & know those happen. I mean bad=fake. :lol:)
ehh, that i kinda get. If you never have buffer in your bank account and you are waiting for one thing to come in, so you can pay another thing, then checks are unreliable no matter what type they are.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
ehh, that i kinda get. If you never have buffer in your bank account and you are waiting for one thing to come in, so you can pay another thing, then checks are unreliable no matter what type they are.
I didn't have 11k sitting in my bank account. I keep the float far lower than that.

Don't ya hate it when the seat sticks and makes that slamming the lid noise when you stand up?
I'm a very quiet bathroom user, strings. I purposely pee towards the porcelain so I'm not splashing in the water. I lift the seat with my foot and lower it down with my foot again. But sometimes this doesn't work out and the seat goes slamming down cuz my foot slips. Don't ask.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant and OOD
I'm a very quiet bathroom user, strings. I purposely pee towards the porcelain so I'm not splashing in the water. I lift the seat with my foot and lower it down with my foot again. But sometimes this doesn't work out and the seat goes slamming down cuz my foot slips. Don't ask.

Flush with your foot too.
You really need to stretch for urinals.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and nukes