Pics Pets (not books)

I never spoil my dogs, treat them like toys, or do anything that might lead them to believe they are human or otherwise here for my amusement. Especially not my little beagle jack mix.

182O6.jpg

hK9x9.jpg

Yaaaay I see wickaaaar

Nope, and I think you mean wolves, not dogs. The guy who got the ball rolling with that myth all those years ago has now stated it was bullshit and based on wolves in an unnatural habitat and not exhibiting those behaviours people read into so much. So yeah....
My next door neighbor is a dog trainer/boarder, and I've spent plenty of time out with him and a yard full of dogs. It doesn't take long to figure out the social structure of a group of dogs, and you can very accurately determine what will happen if you introduce a dog with a given personality into the yard. Pack behavior exists, dogs constantly try to dominate each other.

The link you posted is broken, but I'll say one thing: having an education doesn't make a person automatically correct, it just means you've gone to school and spent years inheriting the knowledge of others - and said knowledge can have a limited scope and even be incorrect sometimes. I've worked with plenty of highly educated people over the years and in my experience, a high education is more often indicator of arrogance than knowledge - true professionals tend not to brag about their education, those that do tend to suck at their jobs, and those that put down people with lesser education are a special kind of ignorant.

Seeing that description of a CAAB being highly regarded compared to some lowly person like a "quote dog trainer unquote", hinting that dog trainers automatically doesn't have a fucking clue what they're talking about, is both pretentious and ignorant. And with ignorance being the opposite of insight, I can't comprehend how they can be good at an analytical field like dog behavior.

• Gravy
Reactions: 1 person
I never spoil my dogs, treat them like toys, or do anything that might lead them to believe they are human or otherwise here for my amusement. Especially not my little beagle jack mix.

182O6.jpg

hK9x9.jpg

:lol: Oh to find a bag big enough to hold Kes....and then be able to lift her up. Sometimes I do envy people who have light dogs. My OH can still pick her up easy but no way can I air lift a 90lb dog who is as tall as me. I do worry when we're out in isolated areas what I'd do if she broke a leg or something, I'm planning to start keeping some kind of stretcher in my car.

My next door neighbor is a dog trainer/boarder, and I've spent plenty of time out with him and a yard full of dogs. It doesn't take long to figure out the social structure of a group of dogs, and you can very accurately determine what will happen if you introduce a dog with a given personality into the yard. Pack behavior exists, dogs constantly try to dominate each other.

The link you posted is broken, but I'll say one thing: having an education doesn't make a person automatically correct, it just means you've gone to school and spent years inheriting the knowledge of others - and said knowledge can have a limited scope and even be incorrect sometimes. I've worked with plenty of highly educated people over the years and in my experience, a high education is more often indicator of arrogance than knowledge - true professionals tend not to brag about their education, those that do tend to suck at their jobs, and those that put down people with lesser education are a special kind of ignorant.

Seeing that description of a CAAB being highly regarded compared to some lowly person like a "quote dog trainer unquote", hinting that dog trainers automatically doesn't have a fucking clue what they're talking about, is both pretentious and ignorant. And with ignorance being the opposite of insight, I can't comprehend how they can be good at an analytical field like dog behavior.

It means the exact opposite. Anyone can call themselves a dog trainer, it is a fairly meaningless title.

Am I a 'dominant' person if I have more confidence than someone else? Or if I'm younger and more energetic than someone else?

Last edited:
Good thing they taught science in England.

Careful, it's a wolf!!

Cavalier-King-Charles-Spaniel.jpg

Oh wait no, this one is:

Snarling-Gray-Wolf-006.jpg

Huskys/malamutes etc. exhibit a lot of wolf like behaviour due to their new(ish) assimilation into domesticated life alongside humans and being adopted as pets, they have a lot stronger instincts and prey drives than most canines so are very similar to wolves. However, 'dogs are wolves' is incorrect, wolves are not hyenas or leopards or coyotes. All this is irrelevant however because (as already stated, like a million times) the ONE study on wolfpack behaviour was null, that's where this whole idea came from about wolf pack mentality and alpha dominance, more scientific studies (as also already mentioned) have proved the whole alpha thing to be an irrelevant myth.

Humans are gorillas
Humans are closer related to chimps than gorillas. :waw:

Humans and chimps share 95% DNA.
Wolves and Dogs share 98.6% DNA.

Come on Carys, don't let me down on the dog subject!

All dogs are directly descendant from wolves.

Careful, it's a wolf:

u2zAB.jpg

Oh wait no, this one is:

DaL3s.jpg

Wolves, dogs, coyotes are incredibly similiar.

They are all in the Animal Kingdom, they are all in the mammalia class, they are all in the Carnivora order, they are all in the canidae family, they are all in the canis genus. They only begin to differ in species which is the lowest level of differentiation

Seriously, You can take a pack of feral wolves, completely antisocial, and within something like a dozen generations of selective breeding you can get a dog with floppy ears and a bushy tail that loves people so much that it has panic attacks when it isn't around them

:wtf:
You argue badly

Did I say I could breed malamutes from wolves within a relatively few generations? I said that within a relatively short time you can take completely feral animals and make them lovable and fluffy.

Lovable and fluffy, but not great pets a lot of the time due to prey drive which takes hundreds of years to diminish, and even then it's still there. My point about wolves still stands so I don't comprehend why anyone is even carrying along that chain of thought - wolf pack does have 'dominators' and alpha rolls and all that made up crap.