People walking over graves

I

I Robert I

So for my once in a month or two appearance I'm making this thread after having watched a TV-show and being pissed off yet again about this.

I'm not a religious man, I don't believe in any deity, the mere thought of it makes me giggle. I don't believe in an afterlife or reincarnation. BUT, there's one thing that I just wouldn't do and that is to walk right on top of/over someones grave.

I see it all the time in movies and on TV. I don't spend a lot of time in graveyards though but I'm sure I'd be seeing it there too if I did. What the hell is wrong with people? This is a matter of fucking respect. It's just not right to just step on someones grave no matter who you are or who they were. It's a huge insult IMHO.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

NO, YOU'RE NOT. i can't STAND that, and it makes me really angry. i was taught at an early age not to do this, and i've held that to my heart ever since.
i'm glad someone else has not only noticed this but feels the same as i.

Don't you think that respect and manners has pretty much died out in our society? I mean I may be somewhat pissy because I live in a bigger city but I mean come on, I am floored by how people act sometimes.

another thing is the national anthem. when people don't cover their hearts and take their hats off, and a MAJORITY don't, it really irks me. baseball games, graduations...

Thorn Bird said:
another thing is the national anthem. when people don't cover their hearts and take their hats off, and a MAJORITY don't, it really irks me. baseball games, graduations...

!?

What country do you live in, lady? Last I heard the Nazis lost the war.

You're nilhism is weak if you actaully give a shit.

I only walk on roads in catholic cemetaries, protestant ones are fair game.

I never ever step on a grave. It's just something you don't do.

When I attended Mercer Univ. in Macon, Ga I use to always visit/study at a huge beautiful cemetary there named Rose Hill. It was a very old cemetary across rolling hills and just a very interesting place and very peaceful. I use to get pissed when people would disturb things there with no respect to the dead.

I was caught having sex there once but it was on the hood of a car so it was ok.

itburnswhenipee said:
!?

you know, it's a shame you can't argue/discuss respectively. i feel you might bring some good points to the table, but i'm always put off by your disrespectful critiques.

FlamingGlory said:
You're nilhism is weak if you actaully give a shit.

I only walk on roads in catholic cemetaries, protestant ones are fair game.
Do you even know what nihilism is? I'm an atheist which is something different alltogether.

And I'm glad that atleast a few others agree.

itburnswhenipee said:
!?

I dislike a lot of things about this country and its people, but I try my damnedest to be respectful to everything. it was probably a requirement for nazis, but its not here. Its simply a request for decency, which this country lacks more and more of everyday.

Tangent: Ever notice how, "What's up?" or "What's going on?" is simply a replacement for Hello anymore? No one really cares about you or your day so they simply repeat the same thing back to you. It's sad really.

I Robert I said:
Do you even know what nihilism is? I'm an atheist which is something different alltogether.

And I'm glad that atleast a few others agree.
Human existence has no objective meaning, there is no god, truth and ethics mean nothing... Atheism is the lack of belief in god OR the refusal to make claims about the existence of god.

Two out of three of those definitions dont care about the dead so I was just going for the majority.

Think about it this way, you want some messican driving a lawn mower over you everyday or the occaisional person walking by...?

Thorn Bird said:
you know, it's a shame you can't argue/discuss respectively. i feel you might bring some good points to the table, but i'm always put off by your disrespectful critiques.

*shrugs*

People are free to determine for themselves if something is worthy of any gesture of respect, hollow or otherwise. Getting irked by some stranger's unwillingness to check their pulse during the national anthem seems like waste of effort. If you have reverence for the song, fine, but you cannot expect everyone to feel the same way. You would be happier if someone just went through the motions like some sort of puppet?

Disrespectful. Bah. I called you lady. You would prefer madam, perhaps?

fly said:
I dislike a lot of things about this country and its people, but I try my damnedest to be respectful to everything. it was probably a requirement for nazis, but its not here. Its simply a request for decency, which this country lacks more and more of everyday.

Tangent: Ever notice how, "What's up?" or "What's going on?" is simply a replacement for Hello anymore? No one really cares about you or your day so they simply repeat the same thing back to you. It's sad really.
howdy > *

I've been to lots of graveyards and it's never even occurred to me not to step on people's graves. Sometimes it even seems unavoidable. Ever been to an interment ceremony with 200 people? Where are they all supposed to stand? At any rate, I never even knew that you weren't supposed to step on people's graves out of respect. I always thought it was a superstitious thing like Drool just pointed out. I've even sat on, stepped on, danced on, layed on, and otherwise fooled around on the graves of people I know. I'm pretty sure they don't care and don't feel disrespected.