Food People should really watch Food Inc and Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

I understand the fear of global warming, and the desire to clean up the planet "before it's too late." We don't even know what our chemicals are doing to us, let alone the entire world. The fact is, however, that interpreting 100 or 200 years worth of written observation is like trying to predict how a day's weather will turn out based on one millionth of a second. You can attempt to draw parallels, but I think the earth is far more resilient than we realize. A more pressing concern should be the over fishing of the oceans and the saturating of our food products with corn syrup and industrial sweeteners like aspartame.

I'm not commenting on anthropogenic global warming one way or the other but for those that argue in support of man-made climate change the argument has never, ever been whether or not the earth can handle it. It's not about the earth; of course the planet can handle it. The issue is our ability to adapt to rapid changes, whether or not we're having an impact on those changes.

No one cares about the ice caps themselves, it's the millions of lives at risk if those ice caps melt faster than we can deal with the consequences.

Last edited:
The argument that 1000 scientists agree with global warming can be looked at as silly.

There are 1000 high level priests that claim there is a God and a billion people believe that.

I'm just saying that sometimes we aren't always given accurate information. It may or may not be on purpose, but to drop everything and succumb your beliefs to what a group is saying because they can't be wrong since its a group that all think the same thing is silly.

How the fuck does anyone think that we have enough data to even predict something as complex as global warming? Don't you think the scientists during the Global Cooling Scare were sure too? Just because we have MORE data now, doesn't mean that its ENOUGH data.

The argument that 1000 scientists agree with global warming can be looked at as silly.

There are 1000 high level priests that claim there is a God and a billion people believe that.
what the hell. non-sequitur much?
I'm just saying that sometimes we aren't always given accurate information. It may or may not be on purpose, but to drop everything and succumb your beliefs to what a group is saying because they can't be wrong since its a group that all think the same thing is silly.
I don't think anyone is making that claim. But would you put forth the same argument against someone who believes in evolution?

97-98 percent of climate researchers believe global warming to be influenced by man. To simply disbelieve that because "sometimes we aren't always given accurate information" is silly.

How the fuck does anyone think that we have enough data to even predict something as complex as global warming? Don't you think the scientists during the Global Cooling Scare were sure too? Just because we have MORE data now, doesn't mean that its ENOUGH data.

honeybum, there was no global cooling scare. it never existed. the only source for it was a single magazine article in the 70s that misquotes and misrepresented the opinions of a single researcher.

it's like when "they" said eggs were bad for you...then "they" said eggs were good for you...then "they" said only the yellow part was bad

The "global cooling scare" was quite literally created by the media, not a product of the scientific community.

it's like when "they" said eggs were bad for you...then "they" said eggs were good for you...then "they" said only the yellow part was bad

And now, cholesterol really isn't that bad for you....it's just usually the diets associated with people who eat higher cholesterol foods that cause issues.

And now, cholesterol really isn't that bad for you....it's just usually the diets associated with people who eat higher cholesterol foods that cause issues.

not just diet, but amount of physical activity as well.

Exactly. The problem is that people take what's reported - which is almost always dumbed down and misunderstood - as equivalent to the statements of the scientific community. Unless you're reading a peer-reviewed journal, you have no idea what the science actually says. Never, ever take the news reporting of a scientific discovery as reliable, regardless of its source, until you have read the press release itself.

edit: see how I tried to get this back on the topic of food? :D

97-98 percent of climate researchers believe global warming to be influenced by man. To simply disbelieve that because "sometimes we aren't always given accurate information" is silly.

You're silly for believing and I'm silly for not believing.

If I wasn't on my phone I would keyboard warrior with you guys. Ugh.