WTF Pentagon creates new medal for Drone Pilots

Even though this is technically something I can qualify for now (since it includes "cyber warriors" :waw: ) I'm not happy about it nor is anyone I work with.

I believe once you have a certain point in awards that requires heroism or valor in the face of danger, everything above that should require the same. Drones and even cyber warfare are absolutely critical to our success in modern conflicts but if there's no immediate risk to life then those actions should not rate a higher award than the grunt putting rounds down range.

Recognize them, but recognize the guys who might not come home first.

Even though this is technically something I can qualify for now (since it includes "cyber warriors" :waw: ) I'm not happy about it nor is anyone I work with.

I believe once you have a certain point in awards that requires heroism or valor in the face of danger, everything above that should require the same. Drones and even cyber warfare are absolutely critical to our success in modern conflicts but if there's no immediate risk to life then those actions should not rate a higher award than the grunt putting rounds down range.

Recognize them, but recognize the guys who might not come home first.

absolutely critical? So you're saying modern armies have no chance against towelheads with AK's unless they have robot killing machines?

am I reading that right?

absolutely critical? So you're saying modern armies have no chance against towelheads with AK's unless they have robot killing machines?

am I reading that right?

Yup. Drones have probably saved at least as many lives as they have taken. My neighbor got a call and was told that he and his troops were walking into an ambush, without that call he might not have come back

am I reading that right?

Yes. Drones are also a primary source of surveillance so it's not just about the killing machines but rather the flying machines in general.

A modern army is designed to fight a modern army, when you're engaged in assymetrical warfare you have to up the ante. Counter-insurgency is graduate level warfighting, you have to go far beyond the force-on-force doctrines that our military spent half a century building up to fight.

when did drones get killing capabilities? they haven't had it the entire time we've been in Afghanistan have they?

I think they have had the capability almost as soon as they were in the field, but Dubya didn't really use that capability so it hasn't been highlighted till recently

Fucking officers
cqzSYbr.jpg