Ontopic Parents of sick child sentenced for denial of health care

This is all terribly wrong but in my mind it shouldn't be treated the same as the folks who have a diagnosis and then refuse to treat. Not that this was any better but at the same time they didn't know what he had. I'm sure if they did they wouldn't have have the same actions. It's amazing how much ignorance and straight out ignoring the issue can play into peoples minds.

while i agree, they still knew something was wrong and weren't in any hurry to find out what. was some bureaucracy in the way of getting him checked out? yea. can't blame it on paperwork though, ultimately it was a lack of effort not a lack of finances leading to the current situation.

No, they are not allowed to turn you away. Its why ER waiting times can be 4+ hours.

Yes they are. If you have no insurance and you're situation is not life threatening visibly, they are not required to treat you. And when they do treat you, it's only to stabilize you. You can't get chemo treatments from an ER.

Yes they are. If you have no insurance and you're situation is not life threatening visibly, they are not required to treat you. And when they do treat you, it's only to stabilize you. You can't get chemo treatments from an ER.

they'd check a kid out and immediately send him somewhere where he could get assistance.

Yes. But that somewhere else isn't obligated to treat without insurance. They could diagnose, however their job is to stabilize not treat.
There is usually one charity hospital around. Catholic hospitals etc. Will also help you fill out paperwork for medicare. Most hospitals get government funding, accepting medicare is usually built into that. It's hard, but not impossible.

These people just didnt try at all.

Last edited:
Yes. But that somewhere else isn't obligated to treat without insurance. They could diagnose, however their job is to stabilize not treat.

there's millions of children's hospitals out there who don't turn down any kid. there's a few here anyways, maybe Ohio is different.

there's millions of children's hospitals out there who don't turn down any kid. there's a few here anyways, maybe Ohio is different.
Bam, Case Western Reserve University Hospital

http://www.uhhospitals.org/Patients...ospitalCharityFinancialAssistanceProgram.aspx

For patients whose income is at or below (0 to 100 percent of) the Federal Poverty Guidelines (FPG), UH participates in Ohio’s Hospital Care Assurance Program (HCAP). Through HCAP, UH provides basic, medically necessary hospital services free of charge to Ohio residents.​

Last edited:
There is usually one charity hospital around. Catholic hospitals etc. Will also help you fill out paperwork for medicare. Most hospitals get government funding, accepting medicare is usually built into that. It's hard, but not impossible.

These people just didnt try at all.

I said they weren't required to treat. I didn't say they wouldn't treat.

ok, so we should pass yet another law requiring something that's already done?

maybe we should focus on things that are issues, instead of things that aren't issues but we want to make issues?

How many kids did it say they have? At least two. Full coverage for <=$2,429 monthly income in OH. Not to mention you ALSO qualify for the hospital discount with up to twice that $4858 a month income. That means if you earn up to $58296 per year, and have 2 kids, you could get the entire thing taken care of for free.

They probably knew this. The social worker more than likely told them. That's probably why they were prosecuted. Criminal neglect isn't something that typically gets prosecuted on the off chance that the DA might win, the state's case was probably bulletproof.

According to county website, they posted 150k bail within a week of being arrested in 2009. Bail bonds are usually 10% down, so... $15k cash...

Last edited:
I'm going to speak up for the parents. If this child regularly appeared healthy with symptoms only showing here and there, and they had no insurance or money for the hospital, I can completely understand them waiting to take him. We don't know the extent of his symptoms, maybe he just seemed to be a child that got sick easy, but always seemed to recover, and they had no idea it was all tied to a larger life threatening problem and really were good parents. I've waited and see a few times when my kids are sick for a few days, to try and figure out if it really was something we needed to go in for or just a longer lasting virus. Maybe he really was sick most of the time and they simply didn't want to go into medical debt for their kid and were crappy parents. Fact of the matter is, we can't say from a news article. Like someone posted previously, news articles are written to create an emotional response. The fact that they pleaded guilty to 8 years in prison with other children left behind that someone else now has to care for is a little shady however, you'd think they'd fight it with everything they had if they truly felt innocent, but whatever......

Anyone who is close to death from cancer is going to show signs of illness. Some of the symptoms of Hodgkin's Disease are swollen lymph nodes, night sweats, fatigue, trouble breathing or coughing, and weight loss. If your kid has any of this for more than two weeks they should be taken to a doctor IMO. Hodgkin's Disease usually doesn't kill in two weeks. This kid was probably sick for a couple years before he died. They may not have known at first, but it should have been obvious after a while. Certainly somewhere in between two weeks and two years there was some time when they noticed? Walk into any ER in the country and they will help you, and once they discover something like cancer they can refer you to the hundreds of organizations out there that help people who can't afford treatment. This is disgusting that they let him die in what was most probably a horrible amount of pain. They should go to jail. If it were my kid I wouldn't care if I sold everything I owned, begged, pleaded, even stole, I'd find a way to get her help.

Eileen said:
If it were my kid I wouldn't care if I sold everything I owned, begged, pleaded, even stole, I'd find a way to get her help.

TSRH
If my boy was sick with anything , Id make every effort humanly possible to put him aright.
But hes one of only like 4 people that I actually give a shit about.