Ontopic Parents of sick child sentenced for denial of health care

Asked outside court why her sister hadn't taken care of Willie [the kid who died] and hadn't enrolled him or his three siblings in school, Miss Slawinski said it was easier for Hussing to stay in bed during the day and do drugs.

Two doctors told the judge before the sentencing that no sick child would be turned away from a hospital.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...able-cancer-paid-dog-flead.html#ixzz1mhj0Ki5V
Trumbull County Children Services says it had worked with the family to provide Willie health care, getting involved after receiving a phone call in July 2007. Agency officials said a case worker visited the family at least monthly and pushed the parents to have a medical follow-up on his swollen neck but they didn't.
http://www.iol.co.za/news/world/couple-jailed-in-son-s-cancer-death-1.1236845
Robinson was also charged early this week with 16 counts including the rape and kidnapping of a 14-year-old girl in 2009.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-crime-cancertre81f29o-20120216,0,5237066.story

Yup. It was the fault of the healthcare system.

Last edited:
Yes they are. If you have no insurance and you're situation is not life threatening visibly, they are not required to treat you. And when they do treat you, it's only to stabilize you. You can't get chemo treatments from an ER.

Many hospitals aren't even allowed to ask if you are able to pay or if you have insurance until after you've been seen by the doctor and given an assessment and workup. All hospitals have social workers that are there to help people in this kid's situation.

I think the main problem that some of you are missing is that when you're sick and need medical attention the thought of 'can I afford it' (whether there's free healthcare in the US or not don't try and deny that people think this) should never come into your mind. That's probably what Kiki was rightly saying.

I think the main problem that some of you are missing is that when you're sick and need medical attention the thought of 'can I afford it' (whether there's free healthcare in the US or not don't try and deny that people think this) should never come into your mind. That's probably what Kiki was rightly saying.

It's true. One of the most stressful parts of having cancer for me was, "how am I going to pay all these bills?" Especially as a young adult, I wasn't on my parent's health insurance anymore and I was still in college, so my job wasn't a fantastic one. I had my college's health plan which didn't cover very much. Lucky for me I still lived at home and my parents were still paying for things like food. Every penny that I made for a year went to paying my medical bills. It must be unimaginably difficult for people who aren't as lucky as I was. It was stressful enough for me. Still, it wasn't like I was going to choose not to get treated because it might be too expensive.

It's true. One of the most stressful parts of having cancer for me was, "how am I going to pay all these bills?" Especially as a young adult, I wasn't on my parent's health insurance anymore and I was still in college, so my job wasn't a fantastic one. I had my college's health plan which didn't cover very much. Lucky for me I still lived at home and my parents were still paying for things like food. Every penny that I made for a year went to paying my medical bills. It must be unimaginably difficult for people who aren't as lucky as I was. It was stressful enough for me. Still, it wasn't like I was going to choose not to get treated because it might be too expensive.

Yes, when you know you have cancer you'll probably sell the clothes off your back, however if you have a cough for a month it's fairly understandable that you may leave that untreated when you may fear that your debt will pile up if you seek help.

I was never arguing these people weren't idiots. My comment was strictly based on the, "ERs will treat you even if you can't afford it", comment. As stated there were numerous other avenues that they could have used.

Yes, when you know you have cancer you'll probably sell the clothes off your back, however if you have a cough for a month it's fairly understandable that you may leave that untreated when you may fear that your debt will pile up if you seek help.

At first I didn't know I had cancer. I had to go get costly surgery and see a few doctors to find out.

It couldn't be they are criminals looking for an reason to excuse their behavior possible. All of this stuff is well publicized and if they were contacted by social services it was probably the first thing they were informed about.

You can spin it any way you want, they are common criminals, and one of them is now being prosecuted for rape.

Last edited:
It couldn't be they are criminals looking for an reason to excuse their behavior possible. All of this stuff is well publicized and if they were contacted by social services it was probably the first thing they were informed about.

You can spin it any way you want, they are common criminals, and one of them is now being prosecuted for rape.

What? :lol: