Parenting Ideas

fly said:
And btw, parents are too fucking lazy to raise their kids these days. If you sat down and worked with your kid as a child, instead of sitting them in front of the TV and giving them everything they ask for, there would be a helluva lot less problems.

But that's not easy to do, and no one wants to work hard anymore.
I concur. All the time I see parents just handing their kids whatever they want. I had to start going to the grocery store at 3am to avoid all the damn whiney kids.

Nemo said:
See I was raised strictly and was always scared of that but then I kinda went the opposite way and did things just to antagonise, I've got no real time for authority anymore, but I think that's just the kinda person I am. :)
Oh man, we avoided trouble at all costs. My step-dad used to buy yardsticks by the bushel and when we got into trouble we'd have to go into the pantry in the kitchen and get one. We'd be spanked with it until it broke... so there was no looking for trouble by us kids.

April23 said:
Heh, thats how my family worked. We got spankings and proper discipline, also my parents sat down with us after school every day and helped with homework questions.

I can't say we all came out normal tho. :cool:
C'mon now, I never claimed I was normal....

CletusJones said:
I concur. All the time I see parents just handing their kids whatever they want. I had to start going to the grocery store at 3am to avoid all the damn whiney kids.
Oooh that's annoying. My sibs and I never cried to have something at the store. Parents just ask for that to happen the minute they buy the child something for being good in the store.

Nemo said:
See I was raised strictly and was always scared of that but then I kinda went the opposite way and did things just to antagonise, I've got no real time for authority anymore, but I think that's just the kinda person I am. :)
All kids have thier rebellion periods until they grow up. Especially when the parents are extremely strict.

April23 said:
Oooh that's annoying. My sibs and I never cried to have something at the store. Parents just ask for that to happen the minute they buy the child something for being good in the store.
One time some little bastard threw a can of soup at me. I reprimanded him and his mom (obviously trailer trash) told me to "fuck off asshole."

Interesting how the girls go one way and the guys the other. As my father always said it's more important that I'm your dad and prepare you for life than I'm your friend. Too many parent's try to be friends more than parents and screw up their kids. I grew up with a strong fear of my dad with equal parts respect and we're still good friends. My dad never warned me more than once. If he said do this and you will get punished and I still did it then my ass got tore up. He considered it being very nice that he warned me once. He could have just punished me for not knowing better in the first place. Guess that explains why I've never been to jail. I learned to be sneaky and not get caught.

That and I just wouldn't get punished, He'd punish my freinds too. If I did something stupid with a friend and he busted us then that friend would be out doing the manual labor with me. If the friend tried to blow him off then he'd just go to their parents and explain what has happened and they'd get punished by their parents and sent back over to finish getting punished at my house. My friends would keep me out of trouble just to avoid getting in trouble with my dad.

b_sinning said:
Interesting how the girls go one way and the guys the other. As my father always said it's more important that I'm your dad and prepare you for life than I'm your friend. Too many parent's try to be friends more than parents and screw up their kids. I grew up with a strong fear of my dad with equal parts respect and we're still good friends. My dad never warned me more than once. If he said do this and you will get punished and I still did it then my ass got tore up. He considered it being very nice that he warned me once. He could have just punished me for not knowing better in the first place. Guess that explains why I've never been to jail. I learned to be sneaky and not get caught.

That and I just wouldn't get punished, He'd punish my freinds too. If I did something stupid with a friend and he busted us then that friend would be out doing the manual labor with me. If the friend tried to blow him off then he'd just go to their parents and explain what has happened and they'd get punished by their parents and sent back over to finish getting punished at my house. My friends would keep me out of trouble just to avoid getting in trouble with my dad.
:lol: your dad and my dad must be long lost brothers.

CletusJones said:
One time some little bastard threw a can of soup at me. I reprimanded him and his mom (obviously trailer trash) told me to "fuck off asshole."
That's when people should be tested (like a drivers test) before they are allowed to procreate.

Not everyone is cut out to be a parental figure.

As a mother, and as a woman who remembers what being a kid was like, I'd say humiliating your kids is a very bad idea. There would be a few exceptions, such as if the kid is repeatedly doing something so stupid that they can just about humiliate themselves, but a parent doesn't have to do much in that situation but let things take their course.

April23 said:
All kids have thier rebellion periods until they grow up. Especially when the parents are extremely strict.

Not so much rebellion anymore, more the lack of any respect for either parent. I have a tiny bit for my mom but then I just remind myself how weak a person she really is and the fact she'd put my dad before her own firstborn, then the respects gone again.

zengirl said:
Oh man, we avoided trouble at all costs. My step-dad used to buy yardsticks by the bushel and when we got into trouble we'd have to go into the pantry in the kitchen and get one. We'd be spanked with it until it broke... so there was no looking for trouble by us kids.

Oh I just learned to be waaaaay sneaky and lie through my teeth about everything. Then I just said fuck it and just kinda fought back, never got anymore spankings. :o

Nemo said:
Not so much rebellion anymore, more the lack of any respect for either parent. I have a tiny bit for my mom but then I just remind myself how weak a person she really is and the fact she'd put my dad before her own firstborn, then the respects gone again.
Not every parent is perfect, they love you unconditonally (unless you're french) I hope.

Nemo said:
Oh I just learned to be waaaaay sneaky and lie through my teeth about everything. Then I just said fuck it and just kinda fought back, never got anymore spankings. :o
:( I've never been a convincing liar, I always got caught. So, I just kept my nose clean, told the truth, and messed up occassionally and was reminded exactly why it was a good idea to always walk the straight and narrow.