Food Panty raid time - Dulce de Leche squares

gee

Finally a new goddamn title
Sep 29, 2012
Halifax
Marklar
₥35,230
We're stuck indoors this weekend because of a snowstorm, so I'm raiding the cupboards and trying a few things. I came across a can of sweetened condensed milk, so I figured I'd try something I read about online.

Step 1 - grab a pressure cooker and macgyver up some means of holding a can of condensed milk so it doesn't touch the sides.

a8u2uqeg.jpg

Cook at high pressure for an hour, turn off the heat and let it cool down to room temperature.

Last edited:
Success.

a7a4eduv.jpg

I s'pose I could just eat it out of the can and get fat, but I'll make something out of it. The girlfriend went on some 'pinterest' thing all the kids are using these days, and found a cheesecake square recipe.

Step 1, you'll need 1 cup of graham crumbs (I used graham/chocolate mix), couple tb of sugar and 3 tb melted butter.

ruzyqu9y.jpg

Parchment a 8x8 square pan, spread the crust out and bake for 10 minutes at 325F.

8ebemuda.jpg

When it comes out of the oven, let it cool for a few minutes and spread the Dulce de Leche over it. Heating up the can in a bowl of hot water makes things a lot easier.

qy6egapa.jpg

Let it cool in the fridge.

Now make the filling. 2 bars of cream cheese, 1/4c sugar, 2 eggs and 2 tsp vanilla. Beat the cream cheese in the Kitchenaid until it's creamy, then add the remaining ingredients one by one beating one after the other.

erebabyr.jpg

Spread it over the dulce de leche, and throw the pan back in the oven. Bake for 40ish minutes.

e6upydus.jpg

Done.

6edara8a.jpg

Now for the ganache. Recipe calls for 4oz bittersweet chocolate, 1/4c butter, 2 tbsp corn syrup and 1 tbsp heavy cream or chocolate liquor. I went with 2oz unsweetened chocolate, 2oz chocolate chips, 1/4c butter, 1 tbsp sugar and 2 tbsp Sangster's rum liquor. All that goes in the double boiler until it's melted.

pemuqehy.jpg

And when it's melted, pour it over the cake. I pour it evenly over the cake, then pick up the pan and tilt it to cover the top evenly.

9a6e4e2e.jpg

Last step is to impatiently wait for it to cool.

Go on... :drool:

My grandma used to use the sweetened condensed thing for my favorite cake called sunshine cake. Although she would just set the can in boiling water for a long time.

Go on... :drool:

My grandma used to use the sweetened condensed thing for my favorite cake called sunshine cake. Although she would just set the can in boiling water for a long time.
Sunshine cake? Find that recipe, I'm curious..

Update: Hell fucking yes on the dulce de leche (I've never actually had it before) and meh on the squares.

Flavour is pretty much all cheesecake and very little dulce de leche. If you're a huge fan of plain cheesecake you'll like it, but I'd probably halve the cheesecake and double the dulce/chocolate if I make it again.

I'm sure I'm a moron and just missing something, but how the heck does condensed milk turn chocolate brown like that just as a result of heating?