Panis ex meus opus

The combination of this post and a recently DVR'd episode of Good Eats (how to make bread no less) makes me curious as to how the sammich loaf turned out.

On a side note my girlfriend was not surprised in the least to find out I would go gay for Alton Brown.

reverendsaintjay said:
The combination of this post and a recently DVR'd episode of Good Eats (how to make bread no less) makes me curious as to how the sammich loaf turned out.

On a side note my girlfriend was not surprised in the least to find out I would go gay for Alton Brown.

It went quite well. It's a good base for roast beef and horseradish sauce even three days after baking, and it makes an excellent toast.

However:

I made a mistake. I weigh my ingredients before mixing, and it didn't occur to me at the time that milk is six or seven percent heavier than water. Consequently, there was almost an ounce less fluid than there should have been. Maybe this explains why I thought the dough was a little dryer than usual.

itburnswhenipee said:
Nope. Never used a bread machine. I don't think I really want too either since you're pretty much restricted to coffee can shaped bread.

That being said, I think I've seen some recipes for coffee can bread. Hmm...

I never use my bread machine for baking the bread for that reason. It does work quite nicely for mixing the dough up though, than I bake it in my oven as desired.

kiwi said:
I never use my bread machine for baking the bread for that reason. It does work quite nicely for mixing the dough up though, than I bake it in my oven as desired.
I sorta liked the bread machine we inherited. It made long rectangular loaves which were good for cutting up into sandwich slices. Problem was that then you use it to mix + bake, the dough hook is still in there and gets baked into the bread. It slides out easy enough, but leaves the giant weird cavity in the middle of your bread. So now it gathers dust in the garage.

There's also something very theraputic about beating the snot out of a dough ball as you kneed it.

theacoustician said:
I sorta liked the bread machine we inherited. It made long rectangular loaves which were good for cutting up into sandwich slices. Problem was that then you use it to mix + bake, the dough hook is still in there and gets baked into the bread. It slides out easy enough, but leaves the giant weird cavity in the middle of your bread. So now it gathers dust in the garage.

There's also something very theraputic about beating the snot out of a dough ball as you kneed it.

I don't get the same therapy out of it you do. The only way we get fresh bread is through the bread machine. I really should get it out and use it more. Do you have any really good bread machine recipes to share? I prefer softer crusts than most recipes have. Maybe there are just other secrets I need to know to get a nice soft crust.

kiwi said:
I don't get the same therapy out of it you do. The only way we get fresh bread is through the bread machine. I really should get it out and use it more. Do you have any really good bread machine recipes to share? I prefer softer crusts than most recipes have. Maybe there are just other secrets I need to know to get a nice soft crust.
Not anything that's specific to bread machines. I've got a pretty badass banana nut bread recipe though.