Hawt Owning guns is a right, paying a low price for them is not

Nothing has shown to be a better role model than a parent. Years ago, I suggested to someone at CPS (chicago public schools) that they should pay the parents (not the kids) if the kids get good grades. They can communicate to the students and parents (email/phone/letters home) that there is tutoring available for kids that are struggling in classes. If you just pay the kids (as many at CPS want to do) the kids will always be able to make more $$ selling drugs & alcohol so paying them is useless. But if you pay the parents, they will begrugingly 'parent and guide' instead of just leaving the door to the house open so that their kid 'can learn through their own experience.'

Has there been a school district that tried this? Worth a try. I wonder how big the reward has to be to motivate the parents.

Has there been a school district that tried this? Worth a try. I wonder how big the reward has to be to motivate the parents.

not that I'm aware. I was thinking $100/A, $45/B, $20/C. If the kid has 7 classes, that can add up for the parent twice a year. Hell, I'd even be pro paying the parent half those amounts for the mid-term grades just to keep the parents motivated.

better yet, eliminate tax reductions for kids unless they maintain certain grades.

this way taxpayers can only profit from it, and the parents will have a massive incentive.

i dunno, when they aren't getting refunds they'll catch on quickly.

plus, it doesn't cost taxpayers any money and it's an incentive you can force on everyone across the board, not just lower income families.

the other option seems like people without kids are paying people with kids lots of money to be decent parents.

Make welfare a strict time table with an expiration date. If they don't have their shit together within a year, then you had better hope you spent that time creating a supportive group of family and friends.

i dunno, when they aren't getting refunds they'll catch on quickly.

plus, it doesn't cost taxpayers any money and it's an incentive you can force on everyone across the board, not just lower income families.

the other option seems like people without kids are paying people with kids lots of money to be decent parents.

I posit if we put in place a system that takes benefits from bad parents, those parents will continue to be bad and take it out on their children. We want to encourage good parenting, not economic scapegoating on children. The reward system only works if it's in addition to current benefits, imo.

I posit if we put in place a system that takes benefits from bad parents, those parents will continue to be bad and take it out on their children. We want to encourage good parenting, not economic scapegoating on children. The reward system only works if it's in addition to current benefits, imo.
Yup
Positive Reinforcement Vs Negative.

Also, eliminating tax refunds is way way too much of a gap.