Outlook troubleshooting

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
Marklar
₥10
I have a machine with Outlook 2003 installed on it. It has a .pst file that is about 600megs with an archive folder at about 400 megs.

Every time an email is clicked, outlook freezes up and stops responding for about 10-15 seconds and then recovers and displays the email in the preview pane.

This just started today. Nothing has changed since yesterday.

I am watching the processes and nothing is eating up CPU resources, 2 gigs of RAM with 1.5 gigs free.

wtf? I'm currently exporting everything to a .pst now and I'm thinking I'm just going to reinstall outlook to see if something got corrupted. Any other ideas out there before I go and do something drastic?

Any massive PDF attachments on any emails? Or pics?

nothing "massive"

Another behavior is that I can click a couple of emails and they pop up in normal speed but every 3rd or 4th one it stops responding for a minute. Then it's fine again for 3 or 4 more emails (or about 10 seconds) whichever comes first.

That's why I was wondering if some outside variable was affecting it, hardware maybe? :confused:

Just tested something based on sarcasmo's response...it only hangs when i try to preview an email with an attachment, no matter what size it is.

What causes that?!??

Just tested something based on sarcasmo's response...it only hangs when i try to preview an email with an attachment, no matter what size it is.

What causes that?!??

slow exchange server or network traffic most likely

It sounds like it's trying to locate the attachments for those e-mails. It's looking on your computer for the attachments. There is a setting to tell outlook not to prefetch attachments.

It sounds like it's trying to locate the attachments for those e-mails. It's looking on your computer for the attachments. There is a setting to tell outlook not to prefetch attachments.

I'm guessing he is on exchange in which case there is no way outlook would be looking anywhere but the exchange server if the items in question are in the inbox, not the psts...he didn't entirely specify that though

I just ran it and didnt have any errors, tear

but I did notice my pst file is up to 1.6 gigs, lol

The max size for a .pst is defaulted at 2 gigs I think but many people cite issues when their files get to be 1-1.5 gigs. You might want to consider archiving.

The max size for a .pst is defaulted at 2 gigs I think but many people cite issues when their files get to be 1-1.5 gigs. You might want to consider archiving.

Oh, yeah, I know, lol I get major problems when mine gets over a gig but for some reason its fine right now. I hate archiving :fly: