Our new addition

zengirl said:
We're actually looking for one of those purse bags.

Check at Target, they were selling pretty good mini dog carriers. We actually bought one for the cat. It is much nicer than the old squeeky, rattley crate version we had.

why_ask_why said:
cute puppah!
hopefully the cats aren't kicking it's ass all day long while no one is home :p
We're going to set up a webcam and use one of Ryan's soundcards to upload sound so we can monitor her from work. :fly:

She chases the cats mostly.

itburnswhenipee said:
No way... that pear shaped grey cat you have could take her in a heartbeat.
No, she's terrified of the puppy. She hisses and spits and growls at the puppy. :fly: Leesie is the biggest animal in the house, and the most timid.

But she's lost weight! She's down to 21 pounds, from 28

:egads:

And we still have the Aibo, the problem is finding a place for him to live because he needs space to walk around and sufficient light... we don't really have much of that in our place.

reverendsaintjay said:
I have seen two types of MinPins in my time, and I am 100% hoping you got the good kind.

God love 'em but they're cute, even when they're all yappy.
Which kind?

Theres the boxy kind and the skinny kind... we've got the skinny kind.

She's not really yappy either. She'll bark once or twice if she gets really REALLY wound up, but then we tell her "No" and she shusshes.

We aren't allowing barking.

zengirl said:
Which kind?

Theres the boxy kind and the skinny kind... we've got the skinny kind.

She's not really yappy either. She'll bark once or twice if she gets really REALLY wound up, but then we tell her "No" and she shusshes.

We aren't allowing barking.

The two kinds that I have seen.

The 'Little Dog Syndrome' MinPin. These dogs are typically bound to their owner, hiding/barking/running from anyone or thing that is not their Primary Care Provider. The are the yappers, the barkers, the generally poorly behaved.

The 'Cuddle Bug' MinPin. These are generally well-adjusted dogs but can be attention whores at times. They are still timid, but adapt to new people fairly quickly without much fuss. They adore laps, and are often found buried in crotches, armpits and other warm body nooks.

I personally believe that MinPins, Jack Russels, Chihuahuas and certain other terriers can all fall under these two archetypes, and it's all based on how they are raised. Any dog that is trained using a 'hands off' method is generally better behaved, so get yourself a clicker and some treats.

reverendsaintjay said:

The 'Little Dog Syndrome' MinPin. These dogs are typically bound to their owner, hiding/barking/running from anyone or thing that is not their Primary Care Provider. The are the yappers, the barkers, the generally poorly behaved.

The 'Cuddle Bug' MinPin. These are generally well-adjusted dogs but can be attention whores at times. They are still timid, but adapt to new people fairly quickly without much fuss. They adore laps, and are often found buried in crotches, armpits and other warm body nooks.

I personally believe that MinPins, Jack Russels, Chihuahuas and certain other terriers can all fall under these two archetypes, and it's all based on how they are raised. Any dog that is trained using a 'hands off' method is generally better behaved, so get yourself a clicker and some treats.

The clicker and liver treats is an awesome combo. A couple of years ago I didn't know what the clicker was and I saw one at my in-law's house. So of course I picked it up and clicked it a couple of times, and I instantly had 2 dogs at my feet. I gave them a treat and they left content. Those dogs will do anything you tell them to if you are holding the clicker.

reverendsaintjay said:

This is LuLu.... she'll cuddle with anyone, but if she can't see me she will whine... and she's really not afraid of anything except being confined and being alone.

ERage said:
The clicker and liver treats is an awesome combo. A couple of years ago I didn't know what the clicker was and I saw one at my in-law's house. So of course I picked it up and clicked it a couple of times, and I instantly had 2 dogs at my feet. I gave them a treat and they left content. Those dogs will do anything you tell them to if you are holding the clicker.
What's a clicker? :confused:

zengirl said:

very persuasive obedience training tool
246-revolver.jpg

zengirl said:

inP022235_12d33.jpg

Makes sharp clicking sounds when you push it. You teach the dog to associate the clicks with postitive action or negative. I find the positive to work pretty well. If they do something you ask, you click it and give them a treat. They will learn quickly.

ERage said:
inP022235_12d33.jpg

Makes sharp clicking sounds when you push it. You teach the dog to associate the clicks with postitive action or negative. I find the positive to work pretty well. If they do something you ask, you click it and give them a treat. They will learn quickly.

see my previous link. Did you mind meld with me?

zengirl said:

You can find them at most pet supply stores, it's a little plastic box with a metal tab inside. It makes a sound similar to the lid from a snapple bottle, only a bit more amplified.

The premise is to use pavlovian training techniques to assist in domesticating your animal. The general 'starting point' is name training. You put the dog on a short leash holding them next to you. You say their name until they look up at you. When they look at you, give them a click and a treat. Within 30 minutes you will have an animal that recognizes both it's name and the click/treat response. Once you have them conditioned to expect a treat with the click you can begin further training.

Now if you consistently give the animal treats you will pretty much destroy their health. The way to avoid that is after the first few days start alternating between treats and individual pieces of dry dog food (their brand of course). Once you have fully switched them over to dog food, start weaning them off of that as well. Only giving them treats every other click, then every third click, and then at random intervals. This will eliminate the need for rewards for everyday activities.

After a month or two you will be able to eliminate the clicker for everything but new training. Simply calling the dog's name will be enough to initiate the action/reward connection.

^^that's what I get for actually typing...^^

reverendsaintjay said:
You can find them at most pet supply stores, it's a little plastic box with a metal tab inside. It makes a sound similar to the lid from a snapple bottle, only a bit more amplified.

The premise is to use pavlovian training techniques to assist in domesticating your animal. The general 'starting point' is name training. You put the dog on a short leash holding them next to you. You say their name until they look up at you. When they look at you, give them a click and a treat. Within 30 minutes you will have an animal that recognizes both it's name and the click/treat response. Once you have them conditioned to expect a treat with the click you can begin further training.

Now if you consistently give the animal treats you will pretty much destroy their health. The way to avoid that is after the first few days start alternating between treats and individual pieces of dry dog food (their brand of course). Once you have fully switched them over to dog food, start weaning them off of that as well. Only giving them treats every other click, then every third click, and then at random intervals. This will eliminate the need for rewards for everyday activities.

After a month or two you will be able to eliminate the clicker for everything but new training. Simply calling the dog's name will be enough to initiate the action/reward connection.

^^that's what I get for actually typing...^^
Oh, she already knows her name... and I make the clicking sound with my mouth, that's her call to come to me. When I start clicking she comes running. It's how I've trained the cats as well, so when I say someone's name and start clicking, they come when they're called (yes the cats too)

I don't give LuLu treats, she gets pets and we say "Good Girl" and she loves that because she jumps around and hops in circles when she gets praise. It worked to get her to use her potty pads... so far she's only had 2 accidents, she pooped in Mike's room because all the animals poop in Mike's room, and she peed on my comforter the other night when I didn't wake up to take her to her potty pad. (She's too little to jump off of the bed)

I've been trying to convince Kimie to let me get a Mini Pinscher for years now, but she's concerned about their tendency to "nip" with us having small children. I'm planning on getting a Jack Russell when we move into an actual "house" sometime this year or next.

Pandora said:
Zengirl is such a good mommah. I love parents who have well trained children. :fly: ;)
You mean the pooping in Mike's room? :fly: well that didn't take much work at all