Our contribution to the Katrina Victims...

Candy

Flaccid Member
Jun 10, 2005
In a house with a Purple Room
Marklar
₥0
The ones who couldn't leave on their own that is.

Shawn and I have decided to foster an animal or two from areas affected by Katrina. The Humane Society of Nature's Coast here in Florida has sent volunteers to retrieve the animals, which will be brought back to a shelter in Brooksville, and distributed accordingly. Our vet has offered to give medical treatment, and whatever else needed to families who are fostering pets at their cost.

Anyone who is interested PM me and I'll give out the contact info. Unfortunatly I only have the info for our area. Contact your local Humane Society for more info.

Every little bit helps, and after a news story I watched last night, I will do whatever I am capable of to help these animals. :(

I really like this idea. :heart:

So, do you foster them until the owners get on thier feet and then come take it back or is it forever?

zengirl said:
I really like this idea. :heart:

So, do you foster them until the owners get on thier feet and then come take it back or is it forever?

Both. Some will be adopted as they were just abandomed by their owners and some will need to be returned when their owners get on their feet.

How :cool: of ya'll to do. I've thought about doing that myself but with 6 cats & dogs our house is FULL as it is. :( We will be donating to a rescue organization as soon as I figure out which one to give to. Fortunatly there are a few to choose from. :)

*Fuxx Burger* said:
Yeah the whole "make fun of the Canadian thing" is starting to get old :p
I'm sure it's no worse than being made fun of for being mexican.

...canuckistania.

no animals for me (as i already have a husband and a kid.) but i am doing a mad cleaning of all my stuff -- clothes, pillows, toiletries, diapers...i've got a lot to give in that department since i can't volunteer money, time, or housing. i can't stop thinking about katrina, and this whole thing makes me feel very small. and grateful.

*Fuxx Burger* said:
Have you ever lived in Canada? Or is just one of your parents Canadian?

Dad is Canadian, first language was Canadian French and he moved to the states (NH) when he was a kid. They are from Quebec.

None of my Canadian relatives speak English very well, and many of them (the old ones, many of them are dead now) are missing fingers from being in the logging industry and used to scare us when we were kids.

My Mom is from Iowa; her family is Sicilian and also spoke fluent Italian. It was not uncommon with Mom's side of the family to have huge fights at the dinner table, throw each other out on Christmas, and they were all in the restaurant business.

The Canadians were always very polite.

As a side note: the Italians all seem to live very long lives after many years of heavy smoking and drinking.