Thread Oslo Bombing

It's not you, it's the education you get. It's more focused on other things than geography.

I had geography in like the 4th and 5th grade. Lots of it. We had to memorize all the countries of the world (not that this knowledge helps me so much today since things keep changing), and all the states in the US and state capitals and all that stuff. I just have a block on those few places. It's like any other knowledge though, use it or lose it and I haven't really had to know the difference between Sweden and Norway in the past 20 years.

I had geography in like the 4th and 5th grade. Lots of it. We had to memorize all the countries of the world (not that this knowledge helps me so much today since things keep changing), and all the states in the US and state capitals and all that stuff. I just have a block on those few places. It's like any other knowledge though, use it or lose it and I haven't really had to know the difference between Sweden and Norway in the past 20 years.

at 10 years old you had to memorize all 190 countries? And then you never had geography again? I so do not want my son going to school here. That's appalling.

Maybe some schools. My geography classes were pretty specific, and went not only into the broad components of location, but culture related to whichever region we were focusing on as well.

And you had geography classes in High School right? Please say yes.

I think there was geography in high school but I don't remember that part. I was really really high that decade.

Me too.

I had geography in every grade between 1st and 6th, then elected for it in 8th and 9th where I aced it (100% both years).

at 10 years old you had to memorize all 190 countries? And then you never had geography again? I so do not want my son going to school here. That's appalling.

Could be women just suck at geography. Unless you are actually interested in the history of the countries you probably aren't going to remember them and NO ONE in general education gets a history in european conflict/social movements 1300-1800. Most people don't know every little country in europe BECAUSE IT'S IRRELEVANT.

I bet you most people who have been to a service academy know this shit though (I don't have to bet actually because I know), shitloads of military history will have you remembering names of countries that haven't existed in 300 years, and they are all solidly conservative. Shit norway wasn't even it's own country apart from sweden except for a brief time in 1814 when they got reinvaded (notable because sweden has been a neutral country since the 1600s), then they ceded from sweden in 1900? something by vote, which is only notable because they PICKED a royal family to represent them.

Could be women just suck at geography. Unless you are actually interested in the history of the countries you probably aren't going to remember them and NO ONE in general education gets a history in european conflict/social movements 1300-1800. Most people don't know every little country in europe BECAUSE IT'S IRRELEVANT.

I bet you most people who have been to a service academy know this shit though (I don't have to bet actually because I know), shitloads of military history will have you remembering names of countries that haven't existed in 300 years, and they are all solidly conservative. Shit norway wasn't even it's own country apart from sweden except for a brief time in 1814 when they got reinvaded (notable because sweden has been a neutral country since the 1600s), then they ceded from sweden in 1900? something by vote, which is only notable because they PICKED a royal family to represent them.

History is not geography. And no one here could recite all 196 countries without an aid.

Point is, trying to get 10 year old to memorize all of them is stupid.

Oh yeah, I forgot that women are stupid and uninterested in history. Stupid me.

You are right though, it is irrelevant. Probably we got a few boring chapters in a boring text book on the stuff and then moved on. You can't possibly learn everything that everyone thinks is important in school. Eventually you have to make choices based on what will prepare a child for the future. I don't know who gets to make those choices though.

Also, Liam, I'd like to point out that public education in this country varies considerably from place to place so it's impossible to lump the whole country into one category.

Oh yeah, I forgot that women are stupid and uninterested in history. Stupid me.

You are right though, it is irrelevant. Probably we got a few boring chapters in a boring text book on the stuff and then moved on. You can't possibly learn everything that everyone thinks is important in school. Eventually you have to make choices based on what will prepare a child for the future. I don't know who gets to make those choices though.

Also, Liam, I'd like to point out that public education in this country varies considerably from place to place so it's impossible to lump the whole country into one category.

your top areas suck.