organic vs. local

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
this week's time has a very interesting article about food, and the argument of organic vs. local. points: local food is fresher and costs less/eats less gas to ship but still may contain chemicals. organic may be chemical/hormone free but it might have come from across the country or from another country entirely, eating gas and losing freshness.

so of course i come to you for opinions. have y'all given this any thought at all? are you interested in where your food comes from? what's more important to you -- taste/quality? price? free of all chemicals/hormones? how far will/would you go for your food and the cause you support? are you interested in finding out more information as to make a choice on this?

In our area at least, most of the good local stuff (including milk) is essentially organic, but just not certified. I think it really depends on your area. I've been doing a lot of research on Cummunity Supported Agriculture, which is a good way to go most of the time, even though it's rarely certified.

Local is better everytime in my opinion. With fruits and vegetables that have to be shipped in, they are picked before they are ripe and never taste as good. I'm about about taste and quality and going to local produce stands usually isn't much more, if at all, then buying the produce in the store. I'm very much looking forward to late summer so I can have good fruits and tomatoes and corn again (next summer I'll have them planted in my backyard :drool:).

Local is better.

Also keep in mind that "organic" just means "certified", depending on where you live; the climate, soil, natural pests etc. determine how something is farmed. My brother works on a produce (potato, corn, vegetable vs. staples) farm where everything is essentially grown organic due to a lack of pests in the area and good soil conditions, it just isnt certified.

Local is better.

Also keep in mind that "organic" just means "certified", depending on where you live; the climate, soil, natural pests etc. determine how something is farmed. My brother works on a produce (potato, corn, vegetable vs. staples) farm where everything is essentially grown organic due to a lack of pests in the area and good soil conditions, it just isnt certified.

Ayuh, there's a lot of that going on in Upstate or Western NY, simply because of all the requirements needed to be certified organic.

Most of the local farmers that show up at the markets near the 'Ranch are technically organic, but rarely certified. Doesn't matter to me, the local stuff is fresher, less expensive, and directly supports my community.

Ayuh, there's a lot of that going on in Upstate or Western NY, simply because of all the requirements needed to be certified organic.

Most of the local farmers that show up at the markets near the 'Ranch are technically organic, but rarely certified. Doesn't matter to me, the local stuff is fresher, less expensive, and directly supports my community.[/QUOTE]

that's heaven.

i'm going to have to do some research around here to see if any of the farmer's markets fits that. fruits and veggies have lost so much taste (according to what i can remember from my childhood.)

When we were in NH, Mrs. Chikken had a small garden that produced enough fresh veggies for the two of us during late spring/summer. :drool:

Managed a small one last year at the new house, this year we should have a much bigger one again.

Next summer I'm going to haev a place for a garden too. Fresh tomatoes and corn on the cob :drool:.

I buy what's cheapest. I sacrifice taste and health to save $$$ which ultimately equates to more hookers and blow.

Wow. I feel pretty selfish because I've never really thought about it in this way. I mostly buy food with care for my health. I buy organic produce most of the time. I will also probably buy from the farmers around here in the summertime. I usually do because you can't get such yummy corn and tomatoes elsewhere. I have no idea if the local growers are organic though. I suppose I will have to ask.

When we were in NH, Mrs. Chikken had a small garden that produced enough fresh veggies for the two of us during late spring/summer. :drool:

Managed a small one last year at the new house, this year we should have a much bigger one again.

pics and layout of said garden? Mrs. H and I are planning on starting a small one this spring.

I eat whatever tastes the best without regard to organic or local....just whatever is readily available.

My parents however only shop at the healthfood store. The food is rediculously overpriced, fresh stuff doesn't stay fresh as long, and prepackaged stuff hardly ever has any taste to it.

I just can't see spending the extra money to eat cardboard.

If you plant tomatos and potatos don't put them next to each other.

potatos... man thats a good idea. Tish's grandma grew up on a potato farm. Maybe i can give her a hoe and put her tow work.

We're just going to do some cherry tomatos and green beans for the time being and expand if we feel we can keep up.

Local > organic ....for all the pro reasons you listed for local produce

Unfortunatly most of the farmers markets in our area don't have that much from LOCAL farmers. YDFM at least tells you where their produce comes from, however there are so many immagrants in Dekalb that they import a lot of product to fill their demands.

Theac and I are building a veggie/fruit garden this year. We'll see how well it grows. ;)