Oprah needs to go away

ChikkenNoodul said:
Oh he started the war alright.

But that wasn't necessarily the right thing to do. He did it for power, not for people.

Many thousands of people lost their lives because of him.

?? The war would have started with or without him. He just happened to be in power at the time.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Only because he thought it would help the war, not because it was the right thing to do.

Unneccessary at that cost

That he started

He said that he would've kept slavery if he thought it would help end the war, he didn't do it for the reasons people think.

An argument can be made that the slaves were set free purely to help the north win the war.

Keeping the country together, on the other hand, was necessary. Had he not none of us would be who we are today, and the world would be a far different place.

ChikkenNoodul said:
The Confederacy didn't want a war, they just wanted to be left the fuck alone.

They chose to secede. Even if they didn't want the war, they started it. And lincoln was not the man who forced them into the decision.

smileynev said:
An argument can be made that the slaves were set free purely to help the north win the war.

Keeping the country together, on the other hand, was necessary. Had he not none of us would be who we are today, and the world would be a far different place.
Different sure, but what's so great about the world today?

I don't think we can say for certain if this is so much better.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Different sure, but what's so great about the world today?

I don't think we can say for certain if this is so much better.

Well. I would argue that Germany would control most of Europe. Slavery would probably still exist in the south. We possibly wouldn't have rap music.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Seceding != starting war

They knew what the end result was going to be. Yes, they were going to get their asses handed to them by the North. Many of them I'm sure had altruistic motives. But I would argue that just as many of them wanted to secede for the same reason that the North wanted them to give up slavery. Greed.

ChikkenNoodul said:
1. I don't really care :p

2. Doubtful, it was becoming more expensive to own slaves than to hire workers.

3. That was inevitable.

With healthcare costs on the rise, slaves would be far cheaper.

And would you really want the prominent western power in the world to be Canada?

smileynev said:
They knew what the end result was going to be. Yes, they were going to get their asses handed to them by the North. Many of them I'm sure had altruistic motives. But I would argue that just as many of them wanted to secede for the same reason that the North wanted them to give up slavery. Greed.
The war was not about slavery.

It was because the North didn't put sugar in their tea.

FlyNavy said:
:lol: I know...I love it when northerners get all up in a tizzy when they see a confederate flag "Oh, you're a racist then.." :tard::tard:

I'd say that some people fly it because they are racist. Others because they love their state.

ChikkenNoodul said:
You keep bringing it up.

On a related note, I saw Episode III last night and liked it.

Well at least you're somewhat smart.

I didn't bring it up. All I said was that the North was pressuring the south to ban slavery. Not because they liked black people, but because it would further their economic interests. In that sense the war was about slavery.