Open Source CAD

ZRH

(retired?) Google-F.U.
Mar 5, 2005
<3
Marklar
₥21,082
Anyone know a good open source CAD program. 2D, Autodesk style setup?

I've found a lot of Modeling programs but nothing that would qualify as true CAD.

FlamingGlory said:
Anyone know a good open source CAD program. 2D, Autodesk style setup?

I've found a lot of Modeling programs but nothing that would qualify as true CAD.

I tried to teach myself how to use Autocad 2006 but havent got far :(

BeeRad said:
I tried to teach myself how to use Autocad 2006 but havent got far :(
You really need someone to teach you Autocad. There are a billion features and most are only accessable from the command line.

I have several CAD/CAM programs around here, legally too :o

Not really opensource but you can get demos for a lot of CAD/CAM programs. MasterCAM, for instance, easy to use, can solid model or stick with wire frame, demo is a full version, you just can't save your work or post code.

Do you just want to learn it or have an application in mind?

thrawn said:
I have several CAD/CAM programs around here, legally too :o

Not really opensource but you can get demos for a lot of CAD/CAM programs. MasterCAM, for instance, easy to use, can solid model or stick with wire frame, demo is a full version, you just can't save your work or post code.

Do you just want to learn it or have an application in mind?
I have specific purpose, land survey. I had a copy of Autodesk's civil engineering package but like everything else when you move it got lost. I was just wondering if anyone had made a comparable free alternative.

theacoustician said:
Free? The best free-ish program is probably QCAD, but even that is weaksauce when compared to AutoCAD.
Bleh, I dled that yesterday. It's clunky to say the least.

Time to start hitting up architecture students.

FlamingGlory said:
Bleh, I dled that yesterday. It's clunky to say the least.

Time to start hitting up architecture students.

I think I have a copy of Anvil around here somewhere. It's either here or my parents house.