online gaming question

JAXvillain

Curly_Sue
Oct 13, 2004
Marklar
₥0
why do no online games such as BF2 allow port 80 to be used so people can play behind a locked down firewall? :shady:

April23 said:
Isn't that the cable companies doing?

nah, I'm talking about being behind a corporate firewall that's all locked down with the exception of a scant few ports

why_ask_why said:
why do no online games such as BF2 allow port 80 to be used so people can play behind a locked down firewall? :shady:

So your employer doesn't pay you to fuck off on video games all day? :shifty:

Sarcasmo said:
So your employer doesn't pay you to fuck off on video games all day? :shifty:

I was going to say something along these lines as well. Bastard corporate work-slavers.

our firewall at work is more locked down than that, you've got it easy. Besides, I don't really have the time to play games at work anyway.

Cause there's already too much crap going through port 80?

Cause it would require the far end to know what port you're sending from?

I don't know, but those are the two biggest hunches in my mind.

CletusJones said:
our firewall at work is more locked down than that, you've got it easy. Besides, I don't really have the time to play games at work anyway.

um, how could it be more locked down than having just port 80 and the aim port open? you wouldn't be here if you didn't have port 80 open :p

theacoustician said:
Cause there's already too much crap going through port 80?

Cause it would require the far end to know what port you're sending from?

I don't know, but those are the two biggest hunches in my mind.

you can set what port to use server side in BF2 and most games of that ilk...wonder if it would allow port 80?

why_ask_why said:
um, how could it be more locked down than having just port 80 and the aim port open? you wouldn't be here if you didn't have port 80 open :p
i never know what port is what. Besides, i'm using the free intarwebnet.com access at the hotel I'm saying at. Poolside wifi for the win.

why_ask_why said:
I do...as I said, this has nothing to do with ones job, just a general question about the gaming industry

Oh, got it.

But what does this have to do with CNN?