Halp One year birthday gift for my niece

Who cares? She's one. She won't notice if you give her a present or not. Buy the parents a bottle of something strong to help them get through the horribleness of having a child.

In the example he gave, she sure as hell would notice her 1st birthday present when she turns 18.

Get her a really nice wooden rocking horse, she'll grow into it and continue to use it throughout her toddler and pre-school years, and then have it as a keepsake when she's older.

The cool thing about babies and kids isn't just their futures, it's how they live in the moment and the best gifts I've found are those that create unforgetable moments throughout the year. Stop being so doggone practical and be the indulgent uncle, she'll love you way more :lol:

Since she lives in another time zone, she'll never see me. I might as well do other stuff that she won't see that will help her later.

Since she lives in another time zone, she'll never see me. I might as well do other stuff that she won't see that will help her later.

I say go for it. My kids have so much stuff I dread birthdays and make them get rid of toys before we can have more given to them. I wouldn't mind an acct that gets paid into every year. Also, as she becomes a teenager and stuff she'll understand and appreciate it and remember it (well okay, when she's a mom and has kids of her own, she'll understand and appreciate it, the teenager with just like the fact that its money).

What about some stock in a reliable company that will most likely increase in value over time? And one of those cool mobiles that hook on the kids bed and projects waves on the ceiling. My son liked the one he had.
attachment.php

ETA: or
11384931.jpg

Last edited:
So I like what you are saying. I think I will do both, 529 plan + gift. I was looking at a rocking horse, but they are for 2 year olds or toddlers. Any other ideas?

At one a box is just as interesting as the toy inside. something they will never remember either.

Go with the bank idea or get her a cool customized blanket she can use for years and hold onto into adult hood.