One step closer to joining the ranks of divorcee

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,009
So apparently the California Supreme Court not only ruled that same-sex couples are capable of raising a successful family through adoption, but that family should include married parents, too. They ruled that the ban on same-sex marriages was unconstitutional and threw it out. This means same-sex couples can get a full marriage license, leading to a marriage certificate from California.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/US/05/15/same.sex.marriage/index.html

What makes this so important is unlike Massachusetts who have had a ruling like this before, the couple does not have to be a resident of California to be married in California. That means Tim and I can get married there just as we could be married in Canada via Canadian law. And as federal law states now, marriage laws are state-run. There is no federal jurisdiction for marriage laws. If the Supreme Court of a states makes a ruling for a state policy, it sticks unless an amendment to the state's constitution is voted in otherwise. Even more in the clear is the candidates for president, all of them, are against making marriage a federal matter (making a federal amendment trumping state laws), reaffirming California's ruling as concrete.

What made the ruling all that more surprising is that 6 of the 7 judges are conservative Republicans and CA Supreme Courts are traditionally conservative with rulings.

Chim and I don't have to go to Canada now to get married. :cool:

that is very good news for you!!!! i'm sure there's a lot of travel plans being made. :D i wonder how swamped it's going to be for a few months!

Congratz man. Awesome news. Aaaaaaaaaaaarnold has also said he would veto any referendum to re-word Kalifornia's marriage law (edit) to say marriage is between a man and woman.

Last edited:
If two of age sane people love each other they should be allowed to marry each other no matter their gender or race. Congrats to you dbzeag.

It is sad that society is cheapening the institution of marriage where people just jump in saying if i dislike it I can just get a divorce like it's nothing. Marrying someone should be pledge your soul to another and making a pledge to intertwine your fate to theirs for the rest of your life.

If two of age sane people love each other they should be allowed to marry each other no matter their gender or race. Congrats to you dbzeag.

It is sad that society is cheapening the institution of marriage where people just jump in saying if i dislike it I can just get a divorce like it's nothing. Marrying someone should be pledge your soul to another and making a pledge to intertwine your fate to theirs for the rest of your life.

here here (sp??!!)

congrats DB. i watched some CNN last night and they were discussing this.. thought about you. (as i listened to MY S.O. snore, lmao)