One of the Best Articles You Will Ever Read

I feel like killing someone because they killed someone makes us the same. And it's not like we haven't also killed innocent civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan since Sept. 11, 2001. Should someone come into the homes of those unfortunate soldiers and kill them in their bed clothes? Evil begets evil. I agree he wasn't a good guy and he needed to be held responsible for his crimes, but I don't see how killing him or anyone else makes any of the families that lost loved ones feel any better.

That's a very naive way of looking at the world. At the same time, I'm glad you don't appear to be jaded. Hold on to that. It's comforting in away. But it also doesn't make sense. If killing killers makes us killers, then we wouldn't have any meaningful justice in the world. Killers must be killed, lest they kill again. That's common sense.

I look at it logically. When you are a deadly obstacle to those around you, get off my planet. When you contribute nothing positive to the world, get off my planet. It isn't about some attempt at earning closure for the families of loved ones who died by his hand. I don't think any of the top brass involved in that operation sat around and said "Is this what's best for the families? How will this make them feel better?" Because, who gives a sh*t? And I don't mean that in a cold or thoughtless way. It simply isn't a factor at this point. Their closure did or didn't come years ago. We kill people like Bin Laden to ensure that they will never harm anyone ever again. Period. We don't have to be happy about it. Or sad. We just have to do it. We owe it to all of the people who had their lives cut short around the world. Not for closure, as that is a backward looking goal, but for posterity, as that is a forward looking goal.

Last edited:
Of course not, they assumed he would at least have a suicide vest or something on if he tried to surrender.

He had ten years to surrender to a friendly government. It's too late when the seals are busting in.