On to bigger and better things!

Pandora

Flaccid Member
Oct 19, 2004
Atlanta GA!
skewed.textamerica.com
Marklar
₥0
Changing jobs is soooo nerve racking! Last week I landed a new job in accounting for a cable company. Today I put in my notice with my employer of 4 years. I have yet to hear any response from the owners, but my manager was very understanding when I gave him my letter this morning. And now he's sent out an email to everyone in the company. I feel so specialarz! :D We've had some people leave here on very nasty terms with the company. So far it's looking pretty positive for me tho!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 12:15 PM
To: Atlanta Employees
Subject: Angela

Angela has notified us that she has accepted an accounting position with another company and her last day with LABS will be May 20th. We are sorry to see Angela leave, are thankful for the contributions she has made to the company’s success, but we do wish her the best with this new opportunity. Over the next two weeks Angela will be cross-training others on her assigned tasks while the company evaluates and recruits for our current staffing requirements.

So does anyone else have any interesting job changing stories??

I changed once at work. The copy boy caught me in the act. One thing lead to another...

Best I have is the fact that I got to turn in my two weeks notice to my last company when about 3 managers were all trying to figure out how to keep me on their respective teams.

It was actually quite amusing to have to tell them I was only going to be there another 2 weeks when they told me that they needed me to "save" a project that was doing horribly. (Lucky for them I found the major problem in those two weeks.)

My only job quitting story is the one that happened about 14 months ago when I called them to tell them I had had my baby (I had a scheduled day as my last day but didn't make it that far), but I stayed on maternity leave for 3 months to continue to get the benefits and never returned. My supervisor did eventually call me to confirm I wasn't coming back.

Nothing as good as that...... one place I had to leave because they were being closed down, another I left for my current job and my manager called me from her vacation to half-heartedly beg me to stay.

BigDov said:
Nothing as good as that...... one place I had to leave because they were being closed down, another I left for my current job and my manager called me from her vacation to half-heartedly beg me to stay.

You have to love those. It's like they know there is nothing they can do to keep you, so they just sorta go through the ropes of asking.

Along those lines, though, I have never understood the whole idea of a counter-offer. Anyone ever taken one?

taeric said:
You have to love those. It's like they know there is nothing they can do to keep you, so they just sorta go through the ropes of asking.

Along those lines, though, I have never understood the whole idea of a counter-offer. Anyone ever taken one?

I have a coworker that stayed here after the company counter-offered. That was her goal tho, she didn't really want to change jobs. Course within about two months they made her regret staying. They figured if they were going to be paying more, they were going to get more out of her. LOL

Congrats, and good luck!
Do you actually work as an accountant? I have no idea how that appeals to people. I cannot think of anything more tedious!

I'm terrified of change. I think that's why, regardless of the jobs I've had I've stuck with my first job for the last 5.5 years.
But I have an interview tomorrow for a much higher paying job. Hopefully I'll get it. I really need the $$ hehe :)
Goodluck with your new job.

I remember the day I quit Office Depot during college. I waited until the asshole boss was in a group of employees fussing at them. I walked up and said you're the biggest asshole and the one of the worst bosses I've ever had and I've had enough go fuck yourself and do you want a Protection Plan with that? I was asked to leave before they called the cops but I was a hero to the rest of the employees that day. I left with a big smile on my face and went home and dropped a lot of acid. Damn that was a great day.

That boss was fired a few months later and was prosecuted for stealing funds.

Galen said:
Congrats, and good luck!
Do you actually work as an accountant? I have no idea how that appeals to people. I cannot think of anything more tedious!

Yeah I'm currently working an Accounts Payable position. I do like accounting, although I always hated math type stuff growing up. I'm a big wierdo like that.

Pandora said:
I have a coworker that stayed here after the company counter-offered. That was her goal tho, she didn't really want to change jobs. Course within about two months they made her regret staying. They figured if they were going to be paying more, they were going to get more out of her. LOL

That just sounds like a bad idea. I mean, if they are willing to pay more without asking more work, then that basically means they admit to having under paid in the past. If that is the case, then you'll basically have to do that same tactic every time you want a raise. Just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Pandora said:
Yeah I'm currently working an Accounts Payable position. I do like accounting, although I always hated math type stuff growing up. I'm a big wierdo like that.
That's great to hear, best of luck to you!

b_sinning said:
I remember the day I quit Office Depot during college. I waited until the asshole boss was in a group of employees fussing at them. I walked up and said you're the biggest asshole and the one of the worst bosses I've ever had and I've had enough go fuck yourself and do you want a Protection Plan with that? I was asked to leave before they called the cops but I was a hero to the rest of the employees that day. I left with a big smile on my face and went home and dropped a lot of acid. Damn that was a great day.

That boss was fired a few months later and was prosecuted for stealing funds.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Awesome!

I'll prolly be doing a lot of celebrating over the next couple of weeks too.
smoker.gif
:chikken::happy:

taeric said:
That just sounds like a bad idea. I mean, if they are willing to pay more without asking more work, then that basically means they admit to having under paid in the past. If that is the case, then you'll basically have to do that same tactic every time you want a raise. Just doesn't seem like a good idea.

Well it would be crazy for them to act like they pay top dollar. From what I've heard around here everyone feels underpaid and unappreciated. Which is why everyone's telling me, "Cogradulations on getting the hell out of here!"

When working at a hotel in college, I was offered to work at my friends hotel because she was the manager and wasn't insane... so I put in my 2-weeks at the current hotel and explained that I'd stay on so she could train someone.
Now, she had just put schedules up not 10 minutes before.
5 minutes after I told her, she had a new schedule and I was crossed out to which I was informed by her that it wasn't neccisary.
Basically she was screwing over the employees for 2 weeks even though I was more than willing to stay. Luckily they understood and didn't hold it against me.