Okay hardware nuts,

theacoustician said:
I'd even add OCZ. Their stuff has run well in my system.

This isn't to say you have to buy the top of the line from these manufacturers. Their value lines are usually pretty decent if you're not overclocking or doing weird things with your system. However, the no name crap RAM being pushed out is asking for headaches from your machine for months to come. More so if your system is dual channel.

If you're bound and determined to buy cheap shit, make sure there's a decent return policy on it. When you get home with it, run Memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/) for a couple of hours. If you come up with ANY errors, take it back.

I am not saying you have to buy these manufactures top shelf RAM. When I bought 2Gbs of memory for my gaming machine I went with some value Mushkin because I wasn't gong to be overclocking.

theacoustician said:
I'd even add OCZ. Their stuff has run well in my system.

This isn't to say you have to buy the top of the line from these manufacturers. Their value lines are usually pretty decent if you're not overclocking or doing weird things with your system. However, the no name crap RAM being pushed out is asking for headaches from your machine for months to come. More so if your system is dual channel.

If you're bound and determined to buy cheap shit, make sure there's a decent return policy on it. When you get home with it, run Memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/) for a couple of hours. If you come up with ANY errors, take it back.

Who are the top manufacturers of RAM? Is Kingston one? I just ordered a 1 gb of theirs for my laptop, so I better not have problems with it.

Sarcasmo said:
Who are the top manufacturers of RAM? Is Kingston one? I just ordered a 1 gb of theirs for my laptop, so I better not have problems with it.

Crucial, Corsair, Mushkin

Kingston is good, just not the best.

Sarcasmo said:

I've used Kingston in the past, it's okay...nothing spectacular but I've never had any crashes or failures because of Kingston RAM. I also have only used their RAM in a PC that was not going to be overclocked, never used their laptop memory before.

Did you know that George Washington Carver built the first computer out of a peanut? A PEANUT! -Dave Chappelle in Undercover Brother

The professor built PCs with nothing but Bamboo, vines, and coconuts.

TheProfessor.jpg