Okay hardware nuts,

theacoustician said:
Sweet! I have a pretty beefy PC Power and Cooling PSU now, so I think I should be fine there. And I've got the RAM covered. ;)

edit: Is Intel the only one using DDR2? And is that card fucking LOUD?

Last edited:
fly said:
Sweet! I have a pretty beefy PC Power and Cooling PSU now, so I think I should be fine there. And I've got the RAM covered. ;)

Nah it's not too loud (I don't have it but I have friends who have the like)

If you still don't like the noise

www.dangerden.com

fly said:

Actually, the card is quiet and only takes 1 slot amazingly.

For the time being, Intel is the only company using DDR2. AMD is supposed to be moving over sometime in 2006.

theacoustician said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131540 $163

Total $994

However, you'll probably need a new PS with that and it doesn't include shipping.

I like this mobo, just built a PC using one 2 weeks ago. The SLI is awesome. The only problem that I know of is the cooling fan on the chipset...there is a flaw in the original design. They all seem to fail rather quickly. If you call ASUS they will send you a better one with no questions asked. I would do this as soon as you order the board, before it breaks. Much easier to change the fan with the mobo out of the case.

Arátoeldar said:
QFT I'll only buy Mushkin, Corsair and Crucial memory.
I'd even add OCZ. Their stuff has run well in my system.

This isn't to say you have to buy the top of the line from these manufacturers. Their value lines are usually pretty decent if you're not overclocking or doing weird things with your system. However, the no name crap RAM being pushed out is asking for headaches from your machine for months to come. More so if your system is dual channel.

If you're bound and determined to buy cheap shit, make sure there's a decent return policy on it. When you get home with it, run Memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/) for a couple of hours. If you come up with ANY errors, take it back.

I would say that lesser known brands are usually ok as long as you dont go to indy. Avoid stuff like rkbyte, generic or house brand and you'll be fine. Just keep in mind that there will be no overclocking with the cheaper brands and often the cas rating will be high.

For instance, when I built pcs for people newegg's pdi memory was just fine. It had a cas rating of 3 but it was still decent.