Ok, so I changed my mind

196455bc331f14ba.jpg

See, i can understand the "sexy" fashion appeal of the device. But I just don't know as that it will do things any better than the standard blackberries for most people. In fact, I'll go so far as to guess it won't be as good at first.

The touchscreen thing is cool, so I hope the evolution of the tech goes neat places. :) Though, I do think having some physical buttons is very very important.

I like the tilt sensor. Overall the phone looks good but I hate Itunes and doubt the durability of a touch screen. Plus it can't have great battery life with all those graphics.

You know, this is going to sound dumb, but I actually don't like the tilt screen. Why, you ask? Because the vast majority of the time I am looking at the phone while it is tilted, it is because I am laying down and just holding the phone in such a way I can read it. If the damned thing knows it is tilted so it rotates all the text, it is now actually incorrect for my point of view.

Anyway, just my two cents on that feature.

You know, this is going to sound dumb, but I actually don't like the tilt screen. Why, you ask? Because the vast majority of the time I am looking at the phone while it is tilted, it is because I am laying down and just holding the phone in such a way I can read it. If the damned thing knows it is tilted so it rotates all the text, it is now actually incorrect for my point of view.

very good point.

Here are my posts from another forum which detailed my feelings on the iPhone while it was being announced...

My job/career is currently based on electronics, none of which have a Mac emblem anywhere on them.

Nothing will change.

How many people who have a cell phone currently have a $400+ unit? Not many (comparatively).

People will still buy the $49/$99 deal phones in the thousands because their cheap, they play some games, and make and receive calls.

Again, someone who isn't clearly arguing against my point and just makes a quick, mildly intelligent retort.

How is the iphone going to REVOLUTIONIZE the phone industry? It's just another gadget that caters to the expensive gadget crowd. Nokia, Motorola, Ericson, and all the rest have nothing to worry about with the iphone, because for every 1 iphone sold they will still sell 6 $49 deal phones.

What?

What has Mac done that deserves praise?

So they made a gimmicky music gadget, and a pay for play interface that works mildly well, so that whiny teenagers can download Hawthorne Heights and whine about "the darkness", big freaking deal. When I see a major corporation adopt Mac as their primary work horse and 600 macs are networked together working flawlessly in a business environment I might start to care.

No, I don't think this will make any difference whatsoever in the cell phone industry.

Who said it was? I didn't say it was revolutionary. I just said it's a nice step up with the features I use daily than with the piece of equipment I use. Yes it is a nicety and not a requirement, but ok. Some of you have game consoles and the games that go with them. I do not. I spend my money like this.

I know there will always be real cheap phones and plans for people. That's fine. I like the functionality this phone has and the interface it is done with and therefore I am contemplating this new interface with the price.

Mac developed an OS that Microsoft is imitating. Windows borrows more from Mac than vice versa. Why is that? Because time and time again they plan and put thought into their design and the engineer their product for a specific group of people to be easy and fast to learn and use. Microsoft does not do this, or does not do this effectively.

And you don't see Mac in the business place because that is not what they are designed to do.

Given Mac's genius when designing interfaces, I am sure there is a setting that you can disable that feature.

Given Mac's genius when designing interfaces, I am sure there is a setting that you can disable that feature.

Being able to turn it off is now the thing that makes a feature genius?

I guess I agree with what you are saying, essentially, but I feel a setting which I leave off all the time is more than worthless, it is a waste of money. What happened is I basically funded the development of something I don't care about. (If I buy it, of course.)

Mac developed an OS that Microsoft is imitating. Windows borrows more from Mac than vice versa. Why is that? Because time and time again they plan and put thought into their design and the engineer their product for a specific group of people to be easy and fast to learn and use. Microsoft does not do this, or does not do this effectively.

:rolleyes:

The Mac and MS interfaces have been so far removed from eachother for over two decades that you may as well group the Wii Channel interface in their with them due to its "similiarities", being they're all GUI.

Mac put the motion/tilt feature in because that's the new "thing" with electronics. They did not design, think up, plan, draw out, pioneer or invent it. They just copied it and said "Wow, so cool a feature, I hope you would enjoy it....microsoft sucks kids, buy mac, microsoft is for uncool people, you don't want to uncool do you?"

Last edited:

I guess I agree with what you are saying, essentially, but I feel a setting which I leave off all the time is more than worthless, it is a waste of money. What happened is I basically funded the development of something I don't care about. (If I buy it, of course.)

Ooo, the burn.

I just wanted to say I hate iTunes in this thread. Actually I hate most mac designed software. It caters to a demographic I like to call "kindergarteners". Autodesk should be in charge of interface development dammit >.<

I am pretty sure you missed some sarcasm there.

You don't care about it, but if 84% of the buyers do, then the development would be justified.

:rolleyes:

The Mac and MS interfaces have been so far removed from eachother for over two decades that you may as well group the Wii Channel interface in their with them due to its "similiarities", being they're all GUI.

Mac put the motion/tilt feature in because that's the new "thing" with electronics. They did not design, think up, plan, draw out, pioneer or invent it. They just copied it and said "Wow, so cool a feature, I hope you would enjoy it....microsoft sucks kids, buy mac, microsoft is for uncool people, you don't want to uncool do you?"

Mac might not innovate everything (but some things they do), but they implement designs well.

I just watched the video and sent it to my boss to watch, we were both pretty impressed with it. After going through 5, 600 dollar phones in 1 year I vowed never to spend money like that on a phone again. I have a super old nokia now that I spend much of the day dropping.