Ok, so I changed my mind

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
After watching this, I want an iPhone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgW7or1TuFk&eurl=

I listen to music a lot, so the fact it is an iPod will be nice. I like the interface of contacts on PC with the phone. I love Apple useability and interfaces. I feel this would replace my Treo successfully.

Anyone else's thoughts on it?

I don't want an IPhone because i would have to use ITunes and I don't want to. Plus I have a MDA and I can listen to music on it without ITunes. Yes, its a pretty kickass phone but it pisses me off that you have to use all apple software.

I don't want an IPhone because i would have to use ITunes and I don't want to. Plus I have a MDA and I can listen to music on it without ITunes. Yes, its a pretty kickass phone but it pisses me off that you have to use all apple software.

Where is the downside to that? Apple software is light years better than PC. It's when they have to port it to run on a Windows platform does it lose its magic.

Where is the downside to that? Apple software is light years better than PC. It's when they have to port it to run on a Windows platform does it lose its magic.

I don't like iTunes either. It wants to load things on startup that aren't strictly necessary. That is, in and of itself, sufficient reason to have nothing to do with it in a luxury market, in my opinion. But you don't need iTunes for an iPod, so I doubt you'd need it for this either ... assuming the music you own doesn't have some other type of DRM in it. And I most certainly feel the draw of a subscription-based music service, which iTMS doesn't offer, since I stop listening to the vast majority of tracks after a certain time.

Already owning a player is also a valid reason not to want one, because then you're paying to have something different, instead of something at all.

Other stuff:
-Typing on a touchscreen sucks. Positive tactile feedback FTW
-4/8GB of memory? Weaksauce. I know a hard drive would decrease battery life but guess what? Completely not my problem. leads to
-This thing is a really obvious lead-in to the flash/HDD solutions being made soon by different companies. This amplifies the already-existing effects of
-Apple's tendency to release a first-gen of something that's barely sufficient, or at least anemic when contrasted with later versions, like a beta-test, to see where they need to improve things the most. So I'd wait until at least 2nd gen, which I'd call for Christmas season 2007.
-Cingular is kind of meh.
-A lot of the features require you to use EDGE, which is slow (2.75g instead of 3g) and expensive.
-Very expensive ... $500/600 +2 year contract ... in general I just hate contracts.

I would generally say it's not worth how much they want to charge, but then again I've said that about virtually every MP3-player to hit the market to date, so.

I was wondering why I wasn't seeing iPhone love on this board. :)

Looks alright, but I will be keeping my much smaller and perfectly functional phone for the time being. (Though, I am tempted by the Blackberry Pearl.)

For those that love this thing, though, what exactly draws you to it?

The usability. The interface. The form factor. The fact it is Apple and as far as I am concerned, Apple OS is a fair alternative to Palm OS (my absolute favorite when it comes to a miniOS). To be honest, I am not a fan of the keyboard, but I will deal with it I guess if it can work like an iPod as well as have a screen that brilliant. I haven't seen a smartphone with a screen better than my Treo 650 yet. This might be it.

Here are my posts from another forum which detailed my feelings on the iPhone while it was being announced...

Meh, just another Mac product that I have no reason to buy, just like Ipod and their computers.

I don't think anybody cares. Why do you NEED any of this electronics bullshit?

My job/career is currently based on electronics, none of which have a Mac emblem anywhere on them.

lol jobs just completely declared jihad on the cell phone industry

Nothing will change.

How many people who have a cell phone currently have a $400+ unit? Not many (comparatively).

People will still buy the $49/$99 deal phones in the thousands because their cheap, they play some games, and make and receive calls.

Yeah, because this device is totally targeted at mom who wants the free phone. :rolleyes:

Again, someone who isn't clearly arguing against my point and just makes a quick, mildly intelligent retort.

How is the iphone going to REVOLUTIONIZE the phone industry? It's just another gadget that caters to the expensive gadget crowd. Nokia, Motorola, Ericson, and all the rest have nothing to worry about with the iphone, because for every 1 iphone sold they will still sell 6 $49 deal phones.

seriously. apple battery life is like in a refridgerator with the backlight off.

What?

I don't even own a Mac.

Everything that Apple does is mindlessly hated on here, it gets irritating.

What has Mac done that deserves praise?

iTunes? iPod? What's their market share again? You can't seriously believe that this will have no impact on the cell phone market.

So they made a gimmicky music gadget, and a pay for play interface that works mildly well, so that whiny teenagers can download Hawthorne Heights and whine about "the darkness", big freaking deal. When I see a major corporation adopt Mac as their primary work horse and 600 macs are networked together working flawlessly in a business environment I might start to care.

No, I don't think this will make any difference whatsoever in the cell phone industry.

I was wondering why I wasn't seeing iPhone love on this board. :)

Looks alright, but I will be keeping my much smaller and perfectly functional phone for the time being. (Though, I am tempted by the Blackberry Pearl.)

For those that love this thing, though, what exactly draws you to it?

There are a couple of things that actually do draw me. Visual voicemail is awesome, god how I hope the iPhone's influence makes that feature come down into your average free-with-the-plan phone. I fucking hate how archaic this "You have one new message sent at five ... oh ... ate ... o'clock on ... sunday ... the 9th ... of January from five ... six ... two ... three ... eight ... three ... four ... two ... six ... nine. Hey, this is Ryan, just wanted to tell you we moved the meeting from lddla lkajkje eklalldke sshshhshshshshsssshhh --get better reception-- .... so I hope you can make it then. Press one to repeat this message, two to --1-- Message sent at five ... oh ... ate ..." shit is.

The web browser looks slick, especially the zooming part.

The way to pick up the phone is also cool, as is shutting the screen off when it's right by your face so it doesn't waste batteries. I see a lot of people who hold their phone far enough away from their face that it might not work well for everyone, though.

For general form factor, I like candybar better with no antenna. It's just easier to break something with hinges or a protruding antenna.