Thread ODS' Obama "savings" just got...

You need a source to prove that tons of people would have been out of a job had GM and Chrysler closed shop?

if he's going to give a figure of a million, yes he should source it.

and the purchase of gm and chrysler were separate from the stimulus. and both gm and chrysler together have about a quarter million employees, not a million.

Last edited:
there's be an additional million people out of work if the stimulus crap hadn't been done.
i disagree with this.

we're in an economic holding pattern now because of this. businesses are tightening their belts because they want to wait and see what's going to happen with the endless roll out of gov't initiatives. (healthcare, etc) no one knows what the gov't is going to do so without an ability to forecast anything, the economy is at a crawl (at best) The employers have no idea what the next expense is that the dems are going to drop on their desk, so they say no spending at all while we all sit and watch and wait. No one trusts the gov't. no one.

I wasn't for the 1st stimulus, but it was at least propositioned as an effort to help (not an effort to takeover - ie: healthcare. their spending isn't broad based whatsoever. it's "let's pick and choose the areas we want to grow, decide how we want it to grow & pay (stimulate) to have it done exactly that way. This is nothing more than iron fist control of the economy & you can see how the public responds.

The people that create the jobs are waiting until this shitstorm of regulation & decrees is over. You think it's bad now? It's going to get worse. Much worse.

if there was no additional $ given, markets would have adjusted rapidly due to necessity. Now, banks don't have to lend because the gov't has shored up all their accounts. many banks should have been left to be assumed by other banks. receiveables would have been renegotiated to new 'market' terms and life would have moved on. That's still going to happen in the long run. It's just matter of how much self appointed gov't interference is going to happen between now and then.

Last edited:

and the purchase of gm and chrysler were separate from the stimulus. and both gm and chrysler together have about a quarter million employees, not a million.

there were a number of other companies who were bailed out, not just those two. and in terms of just those 2 companies there would have been a cascade effect with a bunch of their parts suppliers going under or being barely solvent at best. don't have a source. I'm being just as wildly speculative as fly though a lot more realistic, imo.

there were a number of other companies who were bailed out, not just those two. and in terms of just those 2 companies there would have been a cascade effect with a bunch of their parts suppliers going under or being barely solvent at best. don't have a source. I'm being just as wildly speculative as fly though a lot more realistic, imo.
the bailouts and the stimulus were not the same thing. gm and chrysler buyouts - as well as a number of others - were entirely independent of either stimulus package.

the vast majority of money went to government contractors

http://www.recovery.gov/Transparenc...petitiveNonFixedContracts.aspx?RenderData=ALL

tru dat, tru dat

especially to the bank board members that still walked with 7 figure bonuses despite being the ones that caused the mess in the first place

Gotcha on the first point.

On the latter, it goes deeper. Them closing would have destroyed the company I used to work for and numerous other ones like it (steel processing plant) which in turn would have destroyed steel manufacturing plants and their companies.

Gotcha on the first point.

On the latter, it goes deeper. Them closing would have destroyed the company I used to work for and numerous other ones like it (steel processing plant) which in turn would have destroyed steel manufacturing plants and their companies.

Indeed. This is why Toyota pushed FOR bailing out GM because they share the same suppliers and if half of their orders were removed because of GM's collapse, the supplier would probably close leaving Toyota high and dry.

i am against legalization of cannabis and abortion but i am against big government

/0

i am against legalization of cannabis and abortion but i am against big government

/0

In what cases are you against abortion? All circumstances? Is it a moral issue? How/when do you define when an embryo is a person?

Thoughts on birth control? Morning after pill?