Obama scraps Bush-era missile defense for new plan

Floptical

Doesnt Read Thread Titles
Sep 1, 2006
Rockies
Marklar
₥34,710
President Obama has scrapped the previous "missile shield" plan in Europe. The basics were radar stations in the Czech Republic and 10 missile interceptors in Poland to counter the threat of Iran launching long-range missiles at America's allies in Europe. This was the classic "if you attempt to launch anything we'll kill it before it can even get close to us." plan. Russia of course took it as a threat of War and stated the missiles were not for Iran but an attempt to keep Russia in check. Either of which still pose a potential threat long term.

The new plan will ignore the long range attacks and focus only on the short-medium range threat by Islamic groups.

Myself I could care less about spending tons on money on a short to mid range plan that will only protect our allies but offers no protection to mainland America. Granted we have US Military installations in Europe but they already have ways of dealing with attacks.

So what's your thoughts? Do you think we serve a benefit on spending money on a long range missile defense or protect our Allies from short to medium range attacks?

I could not care less about anyone launching missiles at us. The chances of that happening aren't even worth thinking about. The chances of that missile affecting me is even less worth thinking about. I'd rather use the money to educate our retarded fucking children in things other than how to take standardized tests in order to provide bureaucrats with yet more meaningless statistics and improve funding.

I agree with you 100%. I was never sold on a post cold war missile shield. I've even less sold on a short to mid range protection plan.

Pretty sure that's why the soviets never launched an attack on the US.

I said rogue countries and extremest groups. Of course it works against standard countries (i.e. USSR, China, etc). They have something to lose. Rogue countries (Sudan, Taliban controlled areas, Chechnya, unstable areas of Africa, etc.). These type of countries have nothing to lose and with the capability have shown they will use whatever capabilities they have even against themselves in civil war.

I said rogue countries and extremest groups. Of course it works against standard countries (i.e. USSR, China, etc). They have something to lose. Rogue countries (Sudan, Taliban controlled areas, Chechnya, unstable areas of Africa, etc.). These type of countries have nothing to lose and with the capability have shown they will use whatever capabilities they have even against themselves in civil war.

I don't know of any rogue extremist groups that have ICBMs. Iran doesn't even have them. North Korea have something that can reach long distance, but they have no idea where it ends up.

Someone firing a missile at the US is not the main concern for the US Military. I believe right now it's dirty bombs. And a missile defence shield isn't going to stop that.