NT4

Hrmmmmmm

I will let my dialer guy know and see what we can do. If we lose one of the programs though the dialer will not run and I will have to close the room... I dunno if the risk is worth the reward

Well, think about the result if a hacker eventually takes your machine entirely offline and then you will have nothing.

It sounds like it's time for management to step up and get a piece of software that they can maintain for some reasonable amount of time...not some OEM installed piece of shit that will die with the box.

Something else to consider...that machine sounds old as crap...what happens when it just dies off...like the motherboard fails. You are just out of luck? No more business? That doesn't sound too smart.

I don't know your management, but I'd probably raise these issues on the record if I were in your shoes, that way when it fails it can't be said that it's your fault.

Well, think about the result if a hacker eventually takes your machine entirely offline and then you will have nothing.

It sounds like it's time for management to step up and get a piece of software that they can maintain for some reasonable amount of time...not some OEM installed piece of shit that will die with the box.

Something else to consider...that machine sounds old as crap...what happens when it just dies off...like the motherboard fails. You are just out of luck? No more business? That doesn't sound too smart.

I don't know your management, but I'd probably raise these issues on the record if I were in your shoes, that way when it fails it can't be said that it's your fault.

We have one of the guys that worked for the dialer company working for us now so he knows a great deal about the dialer. Whatever goes wrong he can usually fix but this completely stumped him too, we were working on it all last night. When we "loaned" this dialer out the deal was we were suppose to get the service upgrades for free. Turns out that was never OK'ed with the guy who would actually be doing the upgrades(guy we didnt get a service agreement with) and just yesterday he said he wont do it. It was a really messy situation and I am sure I dont even know the half of it.

As Shawn said in the other thread...

Thank you guys so much for helping so quickly! I know if I have problems that are way over my head I have somewhere I can turn and that means a lot.

Hope it works out for you...seems like a tough situation. But at least you know what's going on now.

Hope it works out for you...seems like a tough situation. But at least you know what's going on now.

Yeah man...

I was just thinking and tell me if this is completely wrong but...

Couldnt I, since this is a slaved drive hook it up to another computer with another 30gig slaved drive and copy EVERYTHING but the recycle bin? Would that work or would they still be in other files?

Is there anything comparable to AVG that actually works in NT4?

Yeah man...

I was just thinking and tell me if this is completely wrong but...

Couldnt I, since this is a slaved drive hook it up to another computer with another 30gig slaved drive and copy EVERYTHING but the recycle bin? Would that work or would they still be in other files?

Is there anything comparable to AVG that actually works in NT4?

symantec AV should work

You might be able to install the Windows Recovery Console on the box if you got a Windows 2000/2003 Server CD. Then you could boot to that and delete the crap.

Interesting...

Could I just slave this hard drive and copy everything but the recycle bin? Since it is already the slaved drive it is just pretty much folders instead of an actual OS right? I know you couldnt do that with C: but I am not sure if I could with D: since its just a slave drive, hrmmmmm

Interesting...

Could I just slave this hard drive and copy everything but the recycle bin? Since it is already the slaved drive it is just pretty much folders instead of an actual OS right? I know you couldnt do that with C: but I am not sure if I could with D: since its just a slave drive, hrmmmmm
Or even slave the drive then copy what you want, format the drive - then copy everything back.

Boot off any Windows CD. Go into the recovery console. Then try deleting the folder from there.

Another option and probably more successful, would be to mount the drives in another computer and check out that Recycler folder and delete the files. Then you can use some type of online antivirus scanner and run that across both drives and find/remove any viruses/trojans/malware loaded on the drives. Not 100% as to getting all of it, so put this box behind a firewall if at all possible. Change passwords as they are most likely compromised.

2nd Best solution would be to reformat/reinstall to be sure the junk is gone.

1st best solution would be to replace the box with something new and supported.

So dialer, as in dials the intarweb via a modem? Curious as to how it might have been hacked, assuming it doesn't auto-answer when it's phone line is hooked.