Now this is a story all about how

taivas

Erect Member
Aug 12, 2008
coffeeland
Marklar
₥82
Kind of, sort of.

I'm mildly intoxicated, so I'm going to make this post and hope I don't log in in 11 hours or so and say "oh god how did that get there i am not good with tequila"

I've mentioned to at least one person here that I'm currently in the application process for Air Force officer selection. (Don't ask why, don't argue, you're not going to change my mind. :p) My officer qualification test scores are great, my work history is fairly impressive. Only a couple catches, the more major of which is that since I entered the application process, quite a few things changed in my life, most notably my stated sexual preference. Yeah, I know, "don't ask don't tell." Unfortunately, that didn't help Maj. Margaret Witt.

So, at this particular juncture, I've dedicated myself to serving my country. But, sadly, this particular decision precludes me from having any sort of relationship, at least until the DoD changes their policy, which has left me mildly depressed in the meantime.

What say ye, UF?

If you are serious about OCS. Dont post about it.

It counts as 'making a statement', no matter how implied. CID or whatever the AF has turns up some random crap in minor and routine investigations. I knew a guy who had hell of a time with background checks after someone complained about an ebay sale he made. :tard:

It could definitely be a great job, depending on what you like to do, and 'preclude' is a strong word. Discreet would be better.

Good luck and all that.

Last edited:
I agree with FG, if you want any chance in the military delete this thread. Otherwise, go for it since you sound totally driven for it. It is totally lame that the military is stuck with 1900 ideals...

We will need to begin batting DBZeag off of you. ;)

Good luck though!! :)

Kind of, sort of.

I'm mildly intoxicated, so I'm going to make this post and hope I don't log in in 11 hours or so and say "oh god how did that get there i am not good with tequila"

I've mentioned to at least one person here that I'm currently in the application process for Air Force officer selection. (Don't ask why, don't argue, you're not going to change my mind. :p) My officer qualification test scores are great, my work history is fairly impressive. Only a couple catches, the more major of which is that since I entered the application process, quite a few things changed in my life, most notably my stated sexual preference. Yeah, I know, "don't ask don't tell." Unfortunately, that didn't help Maj. Margaret Witt.

So, at this particular juncture, I've dedicated myself to serving my country. But, sadly, this particular decision precludes me from having any sort of relationship, at least until the DoD changes their policy, which has left me mildly depressed in the meantime.

What say ye, UF?

I have a friend that just entered the Army. He is in the same situation. But to him the sacrifice is worth it. It is a valid concern in my opinion. The idea of having to hide who you are is very sad to me.

Good luck n shit.

Yes, its total bullshit. You're kinda like our generations black people in the military. It worked out for them and will for you too. Eventually...

I forsee that pretty much every post in this thread will be deleted by the end of the day.

You're a good man JC. The military could use you regardless of any conflicting views that they, or anyone in their employ might have standing. Keep your personal business private (which the I imagine the military probably appreciates from everyone, not just those who have a reason to remain private) and go for it.

i just hate that this is even an issue for you. :( it makes no sense in the modern world...even if you can see the point they're desperately trying to run with (group crap), it will never be able to hold up down this open road america's on. i think it will only be a matter of time, but that, unfortunately, does not help you right now.

i think it all comes down to what matters most to YOU, and what you can prioritize right now. if your happiness will only come from a relationship, you have to really consider that. if this career means so much to you that you'd regret not doing it, maybe you need to consider that first. it's not really that you can't have them both (and i hate that you even have to consider not having both or choosing one over the other,) but do you know what you'd like to concentrate most on right now? i know there are private lives happening in the military all the time, gay or straight. i have a friend who's straight and carried on two "affairs" that weren't supposed to happen because of the rankings and all that. and now he's marrying one of those two this weekend. what can they say?

it's trying to find what you can LIVE with. would you take a chance on establishing a career and having a private life if there was risk in losing the job? hopefully that's a slim chance of happening, but i guess it's a possibility. is that ok with you, or is the risk too high?
what means more to you right at this time in your life? how does it make you feel to know you would have to hide a relationship in your career? is it worth it? do you want a career or open relationship more at this point? would you be just as happy finding a different career and focusing on finding a partner that you didn't have to hide? would you be willing to do this career and hope that things will change while you're in there?

the whole thing is just stupid. i can't believe you have to even look at choosing what you'd rather have. (and hopefully it really isn't that extreme...but when you're looking at the facts of military and homosexuality, that seems to be what the "rules" are.)

is there anyone else who's been in the position who you can talk to? are their support groups for stuff like this? it seems to me like maybe it just needs a little time, a lot of consideration, and a big ear for what your heart wants to tell you most. :heart:

:eek: good luck...i will be thinking of you. :heart: i can't imagine the heartache this causes you...all over some stupid policy. :mad:

I'm not too worried about them finding out. If they do, well, I'll cross that bridge if I come to it... but, I just have to figure out how this fits into my life in general.

Now you know. :p

..but isn't there the scary part about someone else in the military finding out and treating you like Pile in Full Metal Jacket?

I just worry since there doesn't seem to be any protection whatsoever in that regard.

..but isn't there the scary part about someone else in the military finding out and treating you like Pile in Full Metal Jacket?

I just worry since there doesn't seem to be any protection whatsoever in that regard.

It's the Air Force, not the Marines :fly:

I have a friend who was in the AF, he's no queen but it's pretty obvious he's gay - never mentioned having a terrible time to me when he's talked about it. I'll have to ask him next time I see him :p

I don't think it's much of an issue outside Hollywood. :p

According to a friend of mine who is in the AF, his roommate brings guys home all the time. And he lives ON BASE. :tard:

Here is a picture of the sidearm they are going to issue you. ;)

picture.php

Good luck on it working out.

I don't think it's much of an issue outside Hollywood. :p

According to a friend of mine who is in the AF, his roommate brings guys home all the time. And he lives ON BASE. :tard:
Oh that's good to hear, I know little about the military except what Hollywood depicts it as.