Now my PC has gone belly up

If you just run CHKDSK, it will inform you of the /p option when it comes up with the message along the lines of "blah blah, CHKDSK is not scheduled to be run on this drive at this time. If you wish to run anyway, use /p to blah blah blah"

Sarcasmo said:
the word "so" in the middle.
I don't know what you're talking about.

Oh, and just ignore the "Last edited by wonko80 : 08-24-2006 at 10:47 AM". That's referrering to something completely unrelated.

Sarcasmo said:

Flight Control: Flight 209 you're clear for takeoff.

Clarence Oveur: Roger.

Roger Murdock: Huh?

FC: LA departure frequency 123.9.

Victor Basta: Request vector, over.

Clarence Oveur: What?

FC: Flight 209 clear for vector 324.

Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.

Clarence Oveur: Roger, Roger, what's our vector, victor?

FC: Now we're in radio clearance, over.

Clarence Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur, over.

Victor Basta: Roger.

FC: Roger, over.

Victor Basta: Who?

Awsome. So any other suggestions? Or is my only option at this point to sell the drive to Jabba the Hutt and slave it?

It seems to me it will actually be less work to just install a new drive, slave it, and copy all info you want to save over.

If you spend too much time trying to fix it, it may just crap out again anyway. Just start fresh.

It sounds like that may be the easiest way.

You could try SPINRITE'ing the drive once you get your data off. It will deeply test the drive for dead/dying sectors and do a hell of a job getting bad data back from those sectors.

Let me know if you need an copy.

SpyderGST said:
Not to start a HDD war, but (IMHO) buy a Seagate. They're the only company that backs their consumer level drives up with a 5 year warranty.

Yeah, my 10,000 RPM Seagate Barracuda rox your face

b_sinning said:
Flight Control: Flight 209 you're clear for takeoff.

FC: LA departure frequency 123.9.

Victor Basta: Request vector, over.

FC: Flight 209 clear for vector 324.

Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.

Clarence Oveur: Roger, Roger, what's our vector, victor?

FC: Now we're in radio clearance, over.

Clarence Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur, over.

Victor Basta: Roger.

FC: Roger, over.

Victor Basta: Who?

Jiveman #1: Sheeeet, man, that honkey mus be messin my old lady got to be runnin col upside down his head!

Jiveman #2: Hey Holm, I can dig it. You know he ain't gonna lay no mo big rap upon you man!

Jiveman #1: I say hey sky, other say I won say I pray to J I get the same ol same ol.

Jiveman #2: Knock ya self a pro slick. Gray matter back got perform us down I take TCBin man.

Jiveman #1: You know what they say: See a broad to get that bodiac lay her down'n smack em yack em.

Together: Col got to be, yo!

Together: Sheeeet!

Last edited:
bast_imret said:
Ok, I had a problem that arose tonight starting out with the message

\windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt

when I would boot up.

I was going to send this to you by PM, but figured others may find it useful one day as well.

I remembered a "repairing XP" guide I found the other day:

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=313

and thought it might help before you blow your current XP install away.

Just trying to help.

SpyderGST said:
It sounds like that may be the easiest way.

You could try SPINRITE'ing the drive once you get your data off. It will deeply test the drive for dead/dying sectors and do a hell of a job getting bad data back from those sectors.

Let me know if you need an copy.
Thats what imma run on my drive that the OS went bad on the other day. I really think it was due to all the IDE driver switches I was doing, but just to be sure...

Its a 320GB drive and Im gone for 4 days. I hope its long enough, as SpinRite is FUCKING SLOW.

SpyderGST said:
I was going to send this to you by PM, but figured others may find it useful one day as well.

I remembered a "repairing XP" guide I found the other day:

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=313

and thought it might help before you blow your current XP install away.

Just trying to help.

Thanks, but already tried that and a couple other similar guides. The problem comes in when I get into recover console and type the very first command, or any command for that matter, instead of executing it gives me the message:

"The path or file specified is not valid."