Note to self

so...do y'all think they'll ever outlaw alcohol? what about cigarettes? didn't somewhere in california just administer a smoking outside in public places ban?

ChikkenNoodul said:
Yep, gotta go get plastered at home where it's safer with the muck bottomed pond, farm machinery, barbed wire fences, huntin' rifles, etc.

That'll save lives for sure
And women to beat...

Thorn Bird said:
so...do y'all think they'll ever outlaw alcohol? what about cigarettes? didn't somewhere in california just administer a smoking outside in public places ban?
They tried outlawing alcohol before, and if you ask me that is the major cause of most of the problems this country has today

The government gets too much revenue in taxes from alcohol to try that again

ChikkenNoodul said:
They tried outlawing alcohol before, and if you ask me that is the major cause of most of the problems this country has today

Don't forget about the criminalization of almost every other recreational drug... solely to prevent all those negroes from getting hopped up and raping the white wimmens. Or hispanics... or east asians. So, if you approve of the drug laws in this country thank a xenophobic racist asshat.

I would think the ACLU or someshit would be all over this.
Seriously, since when is it ok for the cops to go into a business and start harassing the customers? Fucking gestapo shit like this cant be allowed to go on. Plus the whole thing is just a waste of taxpayer money & law enforcement resources.

itburnswhenipee said:
Don't forget about the criminalization of almost every other recreational drug... solely to prevent all those negroes from getting hopped up and raping the white wimmens. Or hispanics... or east asians. So, if you approve of the drug laws in this country thank a xenophobic racist asshat.
Yep, that's also how the early gun laws came into being - can't have no uppity negroes carryin' no guns to protect themselfs from no hangin's

fly said:
But how do you NOT consider them higher class citizens, as they have much more power over me than I do over them. And its all about power...
Technically that's not true. As citizens we all retain the authority of arrest. Police are just free from civil liability because they operate under color of law. Their authority comes solely from our recognition of it. A sworn officer of the law is held liable for his actions primarily because of that swearing in, much like a politician or member of the armed forces...or even a physician in some cases.

The point is that we should all remember that a badge does not make someone a superhero. Nor are screening procedures perfect to keep the average asshole from becoming a cop. I don't see them as higher class citizens because they ought to be held to the exact same standards as the rest of us. Their job performance needs to be held to the highest standard possible but just because cops aren't allowed to fire their guns randomly into the air does not mean that we should be allowed to because we're held to a lower standard.

Not sure if my analogy makes sense :p Just remember that they're human. They make mistakes and when they do they should face the consequences but most of them are not out to get people. The whole "us vs them" mentality is dangerous to a civil society.

Thorn Bird said:
Prohibition 1 didn't work and was repealed, Prohibition 2 and 3 (guns & drugs) are not working either. The only people in support of anti-drug and anti-gun laws are either those who do not understand the true scope of these prohibitions or those that profit from them.

And yes, there are places in California where you can be arrested for smoking in your own back yard, on your own property, because your neighbor smelled it.

FlyNavy said:
Prohibition 1 didn't work and was repealed, Prohibition 2 and 3 (guns & drugs) are not working either. The only people in support of anti-drug and anti-gun laws are either those who do not understand the true scope of these prohibitions
Its amazing that we are the most informed and connected society that has ever existed on the world and also some of the most ignorant on social issues.

FlyNavy said:
Prohibition 1 didn't work and was repealed, Prohibition 2 and 3 (guns & drugs) are not working either. The only people in support of anti-drug and anti-gun laws are either those who do not understand the true scope of these prohibitions or those that profit from them.
And the politicians who want the control and the excuse for tremendous taxpayer revenue to create and maintain the related federal jobs

Do you think they just walked up to people in the bar and asked them to take a breath test? What if you refused? How did they prove the drunkeness?

We are MUCH more dangerous drinking at home vs. drinking out in public. We don't have a full time lifeguard!

Officers in that jurisdiction may be allowed to compel sobriety tests if they suspect public intoxication. The problem stems from the fact that some municipalities and counties legally define a place of business that's open to the public (ie, not requiring private membership) as a "public place" and thus public intoxication, an ordinance in virtually every city/town/village/etc in the country, applies

This is a revenue generator, nothing more.

FlyNavy said:
Technically that's not true. As citizens we all retain the authority of arrest. Police are just free from civil liability because they operate under color of law. Their authority comes solely from our recognition of it. A sworn officer of the law is held liable for his actions primarily because of that swearing in, much like a politician or member of the armed forces...or even a physician in some cases.

Where can I get a ticket pad to ticket the officers who do illegal things around here?

Coqui said:
Where can I get a ticket pad to ticket the officers who do illegal things around here?
We should be so lucky. While citizens retain the authority of arrest (though without the protection from liability) we give the authority to enforce the law and to cite other citizens for ordinance violations solely to the police. Of course, like all legal matters, this varies slightly between states and jurisdictions; for all I know there's a city out there that allows its' residents to ticket each other.

FlyNavy said:
We should be so lucky. While citizens retain the authority of arrest (though without the protection from liability) we give the authority to enforce the law and to cite other citizens for ordinance violations solely to the police. Of course, like all legal matters, this varies slightly between states and jurisdictions; for all I know there's a city out there that allows its' residents to ticket each other.

[New cheesy pickup line]I'm giving you a citation for being a 10 in a 5 max zone :drool:[/cheesy pickup line]