Not so much complaining as I am searching...

I figured you for more along the lines of a DA or maybe a professor of law...
Law is like a video game to me, it just has a very deep rule set. Most people glaze over as soon as they see a legal document/textbook, I see a self contained system of philosophy that you can abstract into a set of procedures applied to various situations.

In other words, Law = World of Warcraft + Logic to me.

Company: Turner Broadcasting
Title: Print Production Artist
Benefits: Insanely awesome benefits. From being paid for volunteering in the community to cheap health care to to nice 401k matching to getting free ice cream on a hot day.
Pay type: Salary + Overtime

I love my job and plan to be with Turner for a very, very long time. It is crazy to think that out of all the jobs that I have had in the past, this is the first one that I feel like I am a valuable asset and wanted. I think it mostly comes down to my boss though. He's awesome! I really couldn't ask for a better boss and I don't think that they could get any better. He's caring, smart and knows that taking care of his group will take care of his career as well as ours. He also knows that he has hired people that are good at what they do because he is not good at it. He listens and takes in to account our experience and knowledge. He also side-steps the work politics very well.

As far as what I actually do, I love that too. It gives me the opportunity to do creative work and do the technical part as well. I also, have the chance to try new things and make advances in processing and work flow. I also am allowed to manage my personal work flow and freedom to work on side projects.

Commuting to work isn't a huge deal for me other than the cost. Some days, it was annoying, but for the most part, traffic doesn't get to me. But, since I have started vanpool (3 months now), it has been awesome. I drive about 2-3 miles to the meeting point, get on the van and chill while someone else drives me to work. I talk, read or play my DS. That 1.5-2 hours a day a reclaimed in personal time. But then again, with the HOV lane, it usually takes less time to get to work. I get to work the same time every day and I leave at work the same time everyday. The van and fuel are paid for by the company. Even if I have to expectantly have to work late or leave early, there is a program that is setup to get a cab home for no cost to me. It's great. I am also an alternate driver and I do have to drive occasionally, but it is still free. And that's just another benefit of working for Turner.

I work about 40 hours a week. I have yet needed to stay exceptionally late. I am setup to work from home if need be.

Yea, pre kids Knyte and I would spend hours just browsing through B&N, now we simply drive by and reminisce about those times.

Also, Dharma, being a stay at home mom on a lower income is possible, you just have to decide what's really important and make sacrifices. It's not just for the rich. I think every couple should have a stay at home member, then maybe the world would get back to where it was the norm to live off of one income. It seems everything is all about the money these days.

add to this that everything is bigger and better and now now now and you have to have it and your kids can't be smart without it...:blah: it's so easy to get caught up in the persistency of it all, and it's also easy to lose sight of values and lessons while being swirled around in this urgency. just because you CAN doesn't mean you HAVE TO. just because you're ABLE doesn't make it the best option. i think it all contributes to lack of respect, lack of value of a dollar, lack of value of possessions, boredom, selfishness, laziness, loss of creativity...the greed of america touches so many more aspects of life, and it really is overwhelming to think about sometimes.
i look around our house, and there are toys that are never played with, clothes that are never worn...nevermind that a majority of this stuff is hand-me-downs and gifts...i still have it all, in this house!

Yea, pre kids Knyte and I would spend hours just browsing through B&N, now we simply drive by and reminisce about those times.

Also, Dharma, being a stay at home mom on a lower income is possible, you just have to decide what's really important and make sacrifices. It's not just for the rich. I think every couple should have a stay at home member, then maybe the world would get back to where it was the norm to live off of one income. It seems everything is all about the money these days.

Oh I definitely believe that its possible. But since I don't plan on having kids I meant a housewife with no children.

In a lot of cases, I believe that it makes more sense financially to have a stay at home parent at least until the kids are in grade school.

Because there ARE a lot of people that make 80k, or more.
True story.

how does this even make sense? that is outrageous. it really is. that should be a definition of greed in every dictionary.

would you really be that guy?
Yes. Bwahahaha ha.

What most people dont do though, is live like they are making 50k when they are making 100. There are a lot of little stupid things you can do to make a little bit of money last forever. Cable, impulse shopping, eating out (whether mcdonalds or going to the movies), sweets, soda, games, renting or buying movies etc. Thrift store clothing, and you repair them. You can live without it.

I dont even leave the house with my money unless I know exactly what Im buying. I bring a $2 bill and my license to work.

Last edited:
hi, i'm plot.

:shady:

:fly: 80K:1. less than that: i don't have that many fingers and toes in this house. ;)

i really do know many many people in that range and higher. i just TODAY met someone who lives in this city who has the same size house as i. EVERYone else i know has a much grander way of living than i. it's really crazy!

EVERYone else i know has a much grander way of living than i. it's really crazy!
That's suburbia in a sentence. >.>

Money is not a function of appearance and appearance is not a function of money. They are very distinct things in my mind.

That's suburbia in a sentence. >.>

Money is not a function of appearance and appearance is not a function of money. They are very distinct things in my mind.

in your mind, yes. in many others', no.

mind you, i'm not complaining about others' lifestyles, or our own. we have made our choices, and we are very proud of those choices. thankfully, it is still a choice. i could always stop what i'm doing, go back to work and make more money. and i'm certainly not criticizing those who have high-paying jobs and make choices accordingly. i'm simply using all of what i've said as a way to back my perception of modern america. has it not gotten out of control? is there a, er, PRICE to the nownownowbiggerbetterfastermoremoremore we are so accustomed to?

Twat is such a great word.

A friend of mine had a shirt that read: "Morissey is a Twat."

And theres always the option of just going to work and not fucking whining about it.

qft

Culture makes the workplace. I can barely stand half the people I've ever worked with, they all fit exactly into their high school stereotypes no matter what the age. I'm surprised anything ever gets done, most people are lazy, liars, and feel the urge to needlessly rebel.
[snip]...

Have you ever worked in a professional workplace as a professional?

I DONT KNOW WHY YOUD GET MARRIED @ UNDER 50K. I DONT THINK I KNOW MANY WOMEN WHO WOULD MARRY SOMEONE WHO MADE LESS THAN 70.

Thorn married me when I wasn't employeed

Spange is probably glad about that.

not really. I'd put her ass out on the corner in a heartbeat.

We made this sacrifice and I am very grateful that we are able to do it.

i can't tell if sp`ange is being sarcastic or if he's really that far up ted's ass...

If Ted still worked for the company, he wouldn't be my boss. He'd be my boss', boss' boss.

I'm not being sarcastic by any means. My boss is really awesome. He isn't gonna dock me hours because I need to come in late for a doctors appointment or leave early for a school function for my kids. He also gave me three extra vacation days for the holidays when I didn't have enough accrued because I had only been with the company for three months. He understands that life exists outside of work and that it still continues when I'm at work. From all my years in the workforce, this is the first time I have ever seen a boss that looks at work as something other than a place you go to do some task. I don't think most people have superiors like that and that is the reason for my gratitude and loyalty to him and my company.

Last edited:
i really do know many many people in that range and higher. i just TODAY met someone who lives in this city who has the same size house as i. EVERYone else i know has a much grander way of living than i. it's really crazy!
They could be WAY deeper in debt than you. Lots of peoples' parents also help put down payments on houses, fund college educations, etc.

Have you ever worked in a professional workplace as a professional?

Thorn married me when I wasn't employeed
Yes, I got to be middle management for 3 whole months. There's nothing like having your entire job depend on the productivity of a bunch of lazy fools that know you have no power over them. I figure in any group of 5 people there are 2 that work, 2 that pretend to work, and 1 who is either a compulsive liar or fighting 'the man'.

Thats special, I'm going to chalk it up to cultural differences. It's just one of those things I wouldnt consider. Living together or playing at it is fun and whatnot but having something, whether money, academic credential, or military honor is the permanent deal sealer.

how does this even make sense? that is outrageous. it really is. that should be a definition of greed in every dictionary.

would you really be that guy?

I read somewhere that a big oil company hit record profits this year and that equates to about $1,087(?) a second.