Not so much complaining as I am searching...

At least you have the OPTION to be a housewife >.>

Also, what's work?

*coming soon in a forum post, 5 paragraphs why modern culture makes work unpleasent*

You didn't actually think he's a somewhat eccentric fellow named Galen who lives in Ireland did you? His name is Ryan, and he works at a Target in Fayetteville.

Dude, I know someone who works at target in Fayetteville o_O 4 serious.

Yeah, they told me about you. "Superfluous philosophical discourse," or some shit. I was drunk at the time so it's hard to remember.

ape, maybe you need to reverse your way of coming to a job/profession. are you at a place where you can make less money in order to pursue a passion of yours? i know you love photography and animals, for example. have you thought of pursuing a job/career that way? if so, what has stopped you from doing it? money? time requirements?
have you ranked the things you want most in life? for example, i had an opportunity to do copy editing for a newspaper here. however, the requirements were nights, weekends, and holidays. i was not willing to sacrifice time with spange in order to accept that job. i ended up finding something that didn't use my degree but allowed me to work 7-3 so i could be wiht spange on nights, weekends, holidays.
i suggest taking a good chunk of time to really list what your passions are, and then rank what you do not want to sacrifice in order to find a job that suits your passion. sometimes people work JUST a job (not a lot of hours, money, work at home, etc.) for other things outside of work that are more important to them. others really enjoy the career drive and want the money/title/hours/experience. it's entirely a personal decision, but it's a huge one, and not something that's USUALLY found the first or second try.
good luck, toots...i hate to see you unhappy with something in your life. it's too short to feel so "stuck". :heart:

:) :heart: Oh Thorn, you are the best mom ever.

i for one love my job. first week on the job and i spent 50 hours in my lab. this will be commonplace for the next 4-5 years. i jump out of bed in the morning, can't wait to cycle in, get my work done, interact with my peers and colleagues, and do it all again tomorrow. my impetus is knowing that someday somehow what i do will make a difference to 1 or 1 million people. never mind the failed experiments or red tape or funding scares, this is what i was meant to do.

See that is exciting. The thought of doing something for the greater good. Knowing that you will make a difference; that is the drive I am looking for in a job.

Go you, finding something that most people are looking for. :)

Also, what's work?

*coming soon in a forum post, 5 paragraphs why modern culture makes work unpleasent*

No I don't have that option, nor do I want it...

Working for the man is not doing anything to help anyone but the man.

Damn the man.

Damn the man.

You could dye your hair black, tape your eyes back, and start using broken English and you could enter a new career path as a Thai lady boy.

I work two jobs. My main job is my own IT consulting business. After four years of doing this and thinking of calling it quits numerous times, I've stuck with it. Right now, I believe, it is finally starting to pay off. I think I've picked up a new business customer last week, referred to me by one of my other business customer's web designers of all people. I think they might be a good client. I'm also turning away residential business and probably at the end of the year will refuse to do any more for existing residential customers. There really is no money to be made in residential IT break/fix work, causes me too much stress, and I've run into a lot of residential customers who are assholes.

My second job is being a sub-contractor for a state wide DSL internet service provider. I install DSL service and Voice service for residential customers of said company. I've been doing this for a little over 6 months now. The work itself is for the most part simple. Hook up the modem and call in for stats. Or run some wire and splice wire here. For the most part I have no boss looking over my shoulder. My boss just assigns me the installs that are in my area, and I'm expected to do them ASAP if possible. The job varies a lot in the amount of installs I have to do and how long they take. I also do a lot of driving for this job. The pay rate is okay (flat rate per install, depending on time taken to do install). No mileage is paid, so I try to just cover areas close to me.

Downside between these two jobs is I have a limited idea what I am doing this week or even the same day. I get an emergency call here, which bumps my schedule up a day or days. With that, it is hard to create a budget for myself. Such as seeing how much per month I make now and projecting what I might make a yr from now. There isn't a steady income. I am making money but not a ton unfortunately. I do, however, enjoy both jobs for the most part. I enjoy the DSL installs more, actually.

Damn the man.

Ummm, corporate accounting is working for the man. You probably are the man. Unless you mean the gender in which case: There is nothing wrong particularly with being a housewife, especially if you have kids. You arent working for your husband you are working with/for your FAMILY [on a side note I dont understand why american couples never refer to each other as family]. Think of it as full time multidisciplinary management, you are the lord and master of the house, you supervise and control the acquisition and disposition of food, you have complete control of all interior and exterior design, maintenance, and improvement. You control the budget. You are in charge of the psychological, and to an extent physhical well being of the various members of the household, etc.

The only thing you arent, is absent and under some stranger's complete control for 8-12 hours per day for a marginal amount of money and a lot of stress.

Probably has something to do with the rise of suburban culture and feminists. If you owned a large house/land, had servants, and made some portion of your income from the enterprises in your home/estate you'd see just how respectable a job it is.

You are disparaging any number of women who do these things on top of that. Yes, there are the lazy ones who just lay about all day and spend money, but there is some number that treat it like the things outlined above. They are not servants to their husband, because everyone would be up shit creek if they were treated that way, they take care of their family which is a full time job, and a valuable one.

You arent helping the man, you are helping your family, and everyone benefits from that.

Couldnt say anything about your career, I hate micro managed 9-5 jobs. All I've seen in my 11+ jobs is that the appearance of work is more important than the actual work, and the amount of money you earn is based on who you know, not what you know or how hard you work. If you do what you like, you will be poor (See artists), if you do whatever for money youll be unhappy, have little free time and probably get heart disease (See the medical industry: nurses).

If you do what you like, you will be poor (See artists), if you do whatever for money youll be unhappy, have little free time and probably get heart disease (See the medical industry: nurses).

:confused: I dunno where abouts you are, but nurses up here don't make a lot of money unless you have years of experience. Teachers, however, make even less money up here. It's sad really. I don't think either that of those jobs, people do them for the money, but for the satisfaction of helping others.

i have a decent job but have taken up some classes which will hopefully move me into a more stressfull but higher paying and less hours/week job... plus working from home.

it'll be worth it when all is said and done.

Also, what's work?

see, MY soapbox comes from simply switching "culture" and "work". this might make for an interesting discussion. :heart:

:confused: I dunno where abouts you are, but nurses up here don't make a lot of money unless you have years of experience. Teachers, however, make even less money up here. It's sad really. I don't think either that of those jobs, people do them for the money, but for the satisfaction of helping others.

fuck teachers and nurses, easy paths for dumbasses.

5 of my friends are teachers, 2 are nurses. i share a faculty with nurses. 90% of student nurses are slappers.

Arent you canadian?

In the US http://stats.bls.gov/OCO/OCOS083.HTM:

Registered nurses constitute the largest health care occupation, with 2.5 million jobs...

Registered nurses are projected to generate about 587,000 new jobs over the 2006-16 period, one of the largest numbers among all occupations; overall job opportunities are expected to be excellent...
Median annual earnings of registered nurses were $57,280 in May 2006. The middle 50 percent earned between $47,710 and $69,850. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $40,250, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $83,440.

It's one of the most 'in demand' jobs. Locally it's in the 70k range for fresh RNs.

Last edited:
Ummm, corporate accounting is working for the man. You probably are the man. Unless you mean the gender in which case: There is nothing wrong particularly with being a housewife, especially if you have kids. You arent working for your husband you are working with/for your FAMILY [on a side note I dont understand why american couples never refer to each other as family]. Think of it as full time multidisciplinary management, you are the lord and master of the house, you supervise and control the acquisition and disposition of food, you have complete control of all interior and exterior design, maintenance, and improvement. You control the budget. You are in charge of the psychological, and to an extent physhical well being of the various members of the household, etc.

The only thing you arent, is absent and under some stranger's complete control for 8-12 hours per day for a marginal amount of money and a lot of stress.

Probably has something to do with the rise of suburban culture and feminists. If you owned a large house/land, had servants, and made some portion of your income from the enterprises in your home/estate you'd see just how respectable a job it is.

You are disparaging any number of women who do these things on top of that. Yes, there are the lazy ones who just lay about all day and spend money, but there is some number that treat it like the things outlined above. They are not servants to their husband, because everyone would be up shit creek if they were treated that way, they take care of their family which is a full time job, and a valuable one.

You arent helping the man, you are helping your family, and everyone benefits from that.

Couldnt say anything about your career, I hate micro managed 9-5 jobs. All I've seen in my 11+ jobs is that the appearance of work is more important than the actual work, and the amount of money you earn is based on who you know, not what you know or how hard you work. If you do what you like, you will be poor (See artists), if you do whatever for money youll be unhappy, have little free time and probably get heart disease (See the medical industry: nurses).

I agree that the position of housewife is a valuable one to the family. However, nowadays a wife that does not work seems to be a status symbol. Not many people can afford to have a one income household regardless of the value of having housewife.