Not so much complaining as I am searching...

see, MY soapbox comes from simply switching "culture" and "work". this might make for an interesting discussion. :heart:

Culture makes the workplace. I can barely stand half the people I've ever worked with, they all fit exactly into their high school stereotypes no matter what the age. I'm surprised anything ever gets done, most people are lazy, liars, and feel the urge to needlessly rebel.

You have a goal oriented job? Dont -expect- other people to pick up your slack. Indoors and non-services is a suit and tie, or at least button up shirt job, you arent going to be told it's expected. I shouldnt have to handhold you except the first time I show you, you are wasting time if you dont learn stuff. I know what Im doing and you dont. Dont question what you get told.

and so on

The spans all ages and educations. It's cultural.

I agree that the position of housewife is a valuable one to the family. However, nowadays a wife that does not work seems to be a status symbol. Not many people can afford to have a one income household regardless of the value of having housewife.
I actually dont know many wives that work o_O If you cant live on 80-100k a year you need to learn to stop living beyond your means.

This hurts my head.

You hurt my head. Also keep in mind incomes are higher in certain places because of cost of living. My brother makes 30k PICKING VEGETABLES ON A FARM though. I dont see how 80k for a bachelor's and 100k for a masters job is untenable.

Last edited:
Ummm, corporate accounting is working for the man. You probably are the man. Unless you mean the gender in which case: There is nothing wrong particularly with being a housewife, especially if you have kids. You arent working for your husband you are working with/for your FAMILY [on a side note I dont understand why american couples never refer to each other as family]. Think of it as full time multidisciplinary management, you are the lord and master of the house, you supervise and control the acquisition and disposition of food, you have complete control of all interior and exterior design, maintenance, and improvement. You control the budget. You are in charge of the psychological, and to an extent physhical well being of the various members of the household, etc.

The only thing you arent, is absent and under some stranger's complete control for 8-12 hours per day for a marginal amount of money and a lot of stress.

Probably has something to do with the rise of suburban culture and feminists. If you owned a large house/land, had servants, and made some portion of your income from the enterprises in your home/estate you'd see just how respectable a job it is.

You are disparaging any number of women who do these things on top of that. Yes, there are the lazy ones who just lay about all day and spend money, but there is some number that treat it like the things outlined above. They are not servants to their husband, because everyone would be up shit creek if they were treated that way, they take care of their family which is a full time job, and a valuable one.

You arent helping the man, you are helping your family, and everyone benefits from that.

Couldnt say anything about your career, I hate micro managed 9-5 jobs. All I've seen in my 11+ jobs is that the appearance of work is more important than the actual work, and the amount of money you earn is based on who you know, not what you know or how hard you work. If you do what you like, you will be poor (See artists), if you do whatever for money youll be unhappy, have little free time and probably get heart disease (See the medical industry: nurses).

I was not dissing housewives, just not my cup of tea. Plus we aren't having children so it would be silly to stay home and play videogam...

eh...

fly, I quit! Going to stay home to play TF2... support me plz! Ktnx.

I was not dissing housewives, just not my cup of tea. Plus we aren't having children so it would be silly to stay home and play videogam...

eh...

I think that's what librarians do all day too.

I DONT KNOW WHY YOUD GET MARRIED @ UNDER 50K. I DONT THINK I KNOW MANY WOMEN WHO WOULD MARRY SOMEONE WHO MADE LESS THAN 70.

And I know many, many people who are married and making much less then that. The amount of money you make isn't always the most important factor to some people when deciding to get married.

eh...

i actually read an article recently about housewives without kids and how good it is for a relationship... chick sometimes gets a part time job, but also has time to take care of the home, clean it, maintenance, run all the errands, cook, etc... she has time to do it and it lessons the man's honeydo list... so at night, the couple has alot more time togethor and everything is done around the household so there's no stress.

think about it.

Arent you canadian?
Most people consider Maine an extension of canadia :fly:
It's one of the most 'in demand' jobs. Locally it's in the 70k range for fresh RNs.
No doubt and I'm not arguing that. Just saying that not all nurses and teachers are wastes of life. I'd say the vast majority are hard working. I guess it takes being in a hospital a few times to change ones opinion on nurses. They get shit on (literally) by patients, dumped on by doctors, and thrown aside by management.

i actually read an article recently about housewives without kids and how good it is for a relationship... chick sometimes gets a part time job, but also has time to take care of the home, clean it, maintenance, run all the errands, cook, etc... she has time to do it and it lessons the man's honeydo list... so at night, the couple has alot more time togethor and everything is done around the household so there's no stress.

think about it.

I can see how that can be beneficial, but I reallllly like helping out with bills and also having the ability to buy him stuff with my own hard earned cash.

That is one thing I don't get about joint checking accounts. You know how much each other spend on gifts. I mean... wtf mang?

Most people consider Maine an extension of canadia :fly:

No doubt and I'm not arguing that. Just saying that not all nurses and teachers are wastes of life. I'd say the vast majority are hard working. I guess it takes being in a hospital a few times to change ones opinion on nurses. They get shit on (literally) by patients, dumped on by doctors, and thrown aside by management.
That was polo who was disparaging the, not me. I just said it's growing economic sector :p