Norse mythology is ruining LOTR for me =(

Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski

Clam whisperer
Oct 15, 2004
Robin Hood Country
Marklar
₥14,113
I thought Tolkien has a few original ideas with LOTR but shit, the more I read of this norse mythology book I just got, the more disapointed I am with that guy. I know he studied it at uni and stuff but even the end of the book seems to be stolen.

I could tell you a badass story of Loki killing people and being a badass to add more content, but none of you fgts have the attention span.

Everyone borrows an idea from something they've experienced in life. He probably had read the mythology some time in his life and used some simialr ideas without thinking about it.

b_sinning said:
Everyone borrows an idea from something they've experienced in life. He probably had read the mythology some time in his life and used some simialr ideas without thinking about it.

Dude it's not just an idea, most the themes are from it. He studied it at a Norwegian uni iirc, but that's besides the point.

That's not just norse mythology though. Call it Scandinavian or something :p

Pandora said:
Sure! :) It's always nice to learn new things....except when it's about Texas... :fly:

Exactly why I pick up random books, it's great.

Well once upon a time there was a guy called Balder whose daddy was called Odin. There was a mean guy called Loki who was the god of chaos, and Balder kept having nightmares that he'd die. Odin went to the land of the dead to ask how Balder was going to die, so he could stop it. He found out that a nice blind guy called Hodr would kill his son by throwing things at him.

Odin wasn't very pleased, now would he children! So Balders mommy Frigg went round the WHOOOLE 9 worlds making everything promise not to hurt her baby. Well anyway, this mischevious boy Loki decided to go round after her and find something that hadn't promised. So he was like yo who can hurt Balder, and it turns out Frigg had forgotton to ask mistletoe if they would hurt her son.

Meanwhile back home everybody was testing out Friggs promises by throwing things at Balder, and nothing hurt him. This blind guy Hodr was standing around and Loki was like hey you can join in throw this, and he handed him the mistletoe and Balder died.

Well Odin wasn't very happy once again and he went to hell and was like yo Hel (the keeper of the dead or something) let my son go. Hel said only if everybody promised to mourn for Balder. Well everyone said they would except a guy called Thokk. What Odin didn't realise is that Thokk was Loki in disguise. And so Odins son stays in Hell forever.

What a bastard.

Frickin' Norse Mythology ROCKS!

I've been hooked on it ever since I started playing Final Fantasy and wanted to learn more about Odin. They took SO much cool stuff from Norse myths and put it into the Final Fantasy games! It's really pretty cool.

I Robert I said:
That's not just norse mythology though. Call it Scandinavian or something :p

Actually norse != Norwegian. In this book it's all the mythology from Germany, Scandinavia, England etc. Because Vikings were all over Europe and shit, so it's really from everywhere not just Norway. So it is Scandinavian in essence. :heart:

Millions said:
Frickin' Norse Mythology ROCKS!

I've been hooked on it ever since I started playing Final Fantasy and wanted to learn more about Odin. They took SO much cool stuff from Norse myths and put it into the Final Fantasy games! It's really pretty cool.

Too bad Odin was a bitch to get in 7 (I think it was that). I always liked Hades etc. though and well my dad and me are really into the Aztecs so Quatzlcotl was a big bonus. Those games > me.