NO WOW FOR YUO!

bast_imret

Erect Member
Oct 26, 2004
Marklar
₥157
"FileFront has broke the news from Blizzard that they are no longer placing their highly popular MMORPG on store shelves, due to the recent server problems reported by Slashdot on Tuesday. Denying rumors that they had asked several stores to pull the game from shelves, Blizzard rep Gil Shrif is quoted as saying: 'We’re just being careful not to release additional copies to be sold until we feel the game servers can support additional players.' The online store on Blizzard's website shows the game to be out of stock. No word on whether or not this will affect the Korean release."

They better not let those koreans and their farming bots on! ^_____^ Things are laggy enough as it is!

I'm glad they are doing this. They really need to take some time to beef up their servers and optimize some software. The lag in the major cities and the AH is crazy. And if a big raid goes down, you can tell, cause all of the sudden it takes you 30 seconds after issuing a command to see anything happen.

In related news, copies of the game are now selling for 80-100 bucks on ebay, since it has now become extremely hard to get ahold of. Any aspiring money-makers out there might want to keep an eye out for copies at your local stores.

I know exactly dick about how these things work, but it seems to me that if they knew how many copies of the game were distributed, couldnt they then have the servers prepared for that much load? Im sure its far more complex than just that, but seriously, they should have been OVER prepared, instead it seems they were grossly under prepared.

Drool-Boy said:
I know exactly dick about how these things work, but it seems to me that if they knew how many copies of the game were distributed, couldnt they then have the servers prepared for that much load? Im sure its far more complex than just that, but seriously, they should have been OVER prepared, instead it seems they were grossly under prepared.

Now that would make too much sense and we can't have that now can we?

Drool-Boy said:

Well, it is their first MMO, so I think they thought they were prepared, but then ran into alot of unexpected problems. Even with all this technical crap going on, it's still a super fun game, and I love playing it, and most of the players seem to feel this way. Seems to me that they made a hella great game, they just need to work out some problems to make sure that we fans can play it without the fear of a "CANNOT CONNECT TO SERVER" error.

Coqui said:
Now that would make too much sense and we can't have that now can we?

No shits
It was the same thing with halflife2
They knew that at 1201am (on whatever the date was) 90 hojillion people were gonna be activating and trying to download that game. What happened? Fucking clogged servers and a LOT of people (including me) had to wait an extra day to log in an "unlock" the game wed already paid for.
You think they would have seen it coming.

theacoustician said:
Who cares?

The few people on this board that play or are interested in playing WoW. Especially those that were planning on buying a copy soon and probably won't be able to find one unless they look now.

This post is not for YOU! :fly:

Drool-Boy said:
No shits
It was the same thing with halflife2
They knew that at 1201am (on whatever the date was) 90 hojillion people were gonna be activating and trying to download that game. What happened? Fucking clogged servers and a LOT of people (including me) had to wait an extra day to log in an "unlock" the game wed already paid for.
You think they would have seen it coming.

Sometimes the most simple and idiotic things are overlooked. That's when I usually go into my office and beat my head against the wall.

Edit: I mean, when other people forget things and it fucks up my job, not me. I never forget anything :D

bast_imret said:
The few people on this board that play or are interested in playing WoW. Especially those that were planning on buying a copy soon and probably won't be able to find one unless they look now.

This post is not for YOU! :fly:
1. There are still a bunch of copies out there. I saw some at BB the other day. So if you still want a copy, you can still get one.
2. If anyone was super stoked about this game, they already bought it. Pulling it from the market now seems to have no effect.
3. From what I've read, its only a couple of servers that are having problems because people all want to be only on a few select servers. If that's the case, people are idiots and deserve what they get. It does suck for the poor fools who were there first though.

theacoustician said:
2. If anyone was super stoked about this game, they already bought it. Pulling it from the market now seems to have no effect.

No. It's marketing genius. Now they get more press, looks like they're doing something to 'help' the community, all while generating more incoming and higher sales. Pure genius.

fly said:
No. It's marketing genius. Now they get more press, looks like they're doing something to 'help' the community, all while generating more incoming and higher sales. Pure genius.
Eh, telling people that their servers are at full load right before the international launch of the game doesn't seem like such a hot idea to me. I mean, I see how it could work, but gamers listen to other gamers. If I see a bunch of people saying the same thing over and over about a game, I believe it to be so. Since everyone says it sucks, it's laggy, and they feel like they're getting gipped on their monthly fee, I don't forsee this working.

if you go to blizzard's site you can see that they are hiring new server admins and database staff - it's obvious they are going to increase the size of their capacity, meaning, it's probably not a marketing ploy

theacoustician said:
1. There are still a bunch of copies out there. I saw some at BB the other day. So if you still want a copy, you can still get one.
3. From what I've read, its only a couple of servers that are having problems because people all want to be only on a few select servers. If that's the case, people are idiots and deserve what they get. It does suck for the poor fools who were there first though.

On an individual basis, I say yea, but don't forget about guilds. That's the reason I joined a high population server.

And as for copies available, it's kinda hit and miss. Good that you have some where you live (at least for people looking for it) but in many places it's completely sold out. Even down in in Savannah.

They'll get it fixed. And it's not that big a deal to me right now as I'm not a powerplayer and if I can't get on I've got plenty of other stuff I can do*

* - other games I can play.

well for one, I'm kinda piss; I planned on picking up the game this week, but now I gotta wait (probably for a few months)

edit: looks like I'll have to make money and have sex with women in the mean time :mad:

bast_imret said:
On an individual basis, I say yea, but don't forget about guilds. That's the reason I joined a high population server.
Then educate me, cause I don't get it. If I play an online game and I see a crowded server, I usually don't go for it. I'll go for the ones with a mid level load. How is this any different?

theacoustician said:
Then educate me, cause I don't get it. If I play an online game and I see a crowded server, I usually don't go for it. I'll go for the ones with a mid level load. How is this any different?
the more people on a server, the more guilds/clans; the more guilds/clans there are, the more guild/clan wars there are;

also, the more people there are, the more people there are to level and trade with

aaaand, the more people there are on your server means that's where it's happenin'

elpmis said:
well for one, I'm kinda piss; I planned on picking up the game this week, but now I gotta wait (probably for a few months)

edit: looks like I'll have to make money and have sex with women in the mean time :mad:

If I find a copy while out and about, would you want me to pick it up for you? You'd just have to pay for the game and for me to mail it to you. Heck, theac already knows where they have copies in stock by him, maybe he could too.