Nintendo to start wireless service ... free

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
Marklar
₥0
Nintendo to Start WLAN Service for Nintendo DS in 2H of 2005
May 12, 2005 16:09

Nintendo Co.,Ltd. will launch network service for the Nintendo DS in the second half of 2005. The new service uses the built-in wireless LAN as the network. As long as the wireless LAN environment is provided in a user's home or hotspots, users in remote locations can enjoy playing games together "just like in the face-to-face situation."

Starting with the already released game software "Animal Crossing DS", many more network-compatible games will be available in a few weeks. The network service can be used free of charge regardless of the place where the service is used. Nintendo has adopted the GameSpy, a network technology provided by IGN Entertainment, Inc. IGN also distributes the development kit targeted for the software houses. The kit includes the middleware required for the development of the network games, and the additional services such as file hosting and beta testing.

The GameSpy has been already supported by about 300 titles of game software for use in the PC and home game machines. The Nintendo DS is the first portable game console to adopt this technology.

Guessing Revolution will follow the same model.

theacoustician said:
Its not news that they're offering wireless Xbox live like service for free?

Funny, never heard that before today.

I was under the impression they were going to do that with the Revolution anyway.

I wish Nintendo would spend some money on market research rather then cobbling together crackpot ideas they've hatched while masturbating to a Princess Peach action figure.

The PSP is going to kill the DS.

Millions said:
I wish Nintendo would spend some money on market research rather then cobbling together crackpot ideas they've hatched while masturbating to a Princess Peach action figure.

The PSP is going to kill the DS.
At $250 a unit and $50 a game, I don't think so bucko.

theacoustician said:

That's Mr. Bucko to you! :p

I doubt the $250 price tag will last long. Sony and Microsoft have a history of over-pricing their stuff because they know there are people out there that will pay it.

In 6 months or so I bet the price will drop big time. Then I'll pick one up. :-D

Metroid Prime Hunters could be cool.... I haven't decided yet. I am not a Metroid Prime fan. Oddly, the stylus controls are pretty good for the game, though. :)

theacoustician said:

Since the PSP seems to have no problem selling right now, there is no reason to even think of bringing the price down. And since they do seem to be taking over the market... it is hard to rule it out.

And the 50$ a game is not too bad. Especially if the rumors that the PS3 will read UMDs is true.